Physical Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to take Physical Chemistry. Any thoughts on before or after the MCAT? I've heard people getting 14s and 15s on their physcial sciences, and saying this class help reinforce the material. What do you think?

Nero

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in Pchem, and let me tell you it is hell. Our class is all calculus based so it does ZERO GOOD for the MCAT. This class sucks, and if any thing it is more discouraging then it is helpful. To do well on the Physical sciences section of the MCAT you need just a very basic understanding of physics not Pchem, so take the MCAT first and when you get into phcem find some study buddies
JIM

Heh.. tis true regarding the usefulness of P-chem for MCATs.. and to me, for most of the basic sciences taken in med school. If you're going to take P-chem, take it for your major/minor, if you truly enjoy theoretical chemistry, or if you want to put a big hurtin' on yourself. :D I believe what you learn in earlier chemistry/physics courses are more than enough to do fine on that portion of the MCAT. Perhaps taking more advanced courses pound the fundamentals into you more, but I don't think it is worth the time unless you have to take such courses.