Physical Diagnosis: DeGowin vs Sapira

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by VCMM414, Apr 19, 2007.

1. VCMM414

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi. I'm someone who has studied a basic physical diagnosis textbook (ie. Bates, Swartz, Mosby's), and am now looking to purchase either the DeGowin or the Sapira books. Aside from portability issues -- DeGowin being pocketbook sized -- can anyone comment on other differences between these two texts? Can either of these texts answer questions like sensitivity/specificity of egophony vs bronchophony vs whispered pectoriloquy in the setting of lung consolidation? If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, is it bad form to be posting this in multiple forums? I suspect it is, but perhaps posting this question in the Family Medicine or even the new Mentor forum could be helpful.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. E Yorrick Davis

E Yorrick Davis negocio del medico
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would have to say Sapira's is superior of the two texts. DeGowin's might be better for a structured curriculum and earlier in training, but Sapira's is far more interesting overall and covers subtleties not explored in the former.

4. codeb1ue

codeb1ue ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    found this old thread and wanted to bump it since I'm currently debating between these 2 diagnostic skills book. Any input/opinions would be much appreciated.

5. drfunktacular

drfunktacular ANA ≠ SLE
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sapira is much more interesting

6. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    How about today? The Sapira reviews seem good on amazon for the 4th edition. One reads:

I have an enormous personal medical library, and this is hands down the best book I own. It is like making rounds with the most interesting, learned, and studious clinician you have ever met -- though I suspect many of us have never really met anyone of Sapira's polymathic virtuosity. The book is intelligent, clear, scientific, and fun. It doesn't read like a textbook -- it reads like a one-on-one seminar with a wise mentor; one who has "seen it all" and knows how to teach. Read this book, and you will be a far better clinician for having done so. Don't read it for Boards or exams; read it for your edification. I am an experienced neurologist -- and learned several neurological "pearls" from this book.

But it is gigantic. Is it worth reading?

7. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    IMHO they're all a waste of money.

8. afterthought

7+ Year Member

My med school used Bates. Totally worthless.

9. Mjs12DO

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have read pieces of both and I prefer Sapira. Sapira will have sensitivities and specificities for important physical exam findings. It will show you correlations that you never knew existed. Both are long reads, but I would pick Sapira. I have a friend who is a physical exam master and he has read Sapira and swears by it. I would personally focus of more medical texts not physical exam texts until after you finish your training. I would read Sapira's after you are practicing IMHO. Use it as a reference now do not read it cover to cover.

10. texasguy

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    agreed :thumbup:

11. FunnyCurrent

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Soo...

Sapira>Degowin>>>Bates?

Any use buying the bates anyways? I've heard it's easier to get through

12. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bates is an introductory book while Sapira is advanced physical diagnosis and would be a bit too much depth until you learn the basics.

13. KRichards62

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Buy Sapira, it's a book you'll keep forever. I still have mine on my desk and pick it up from time to time.

You don't learn physical exam from a book anyway.