Physical Diagnosis stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t-bone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year at DMU. I balked at buying an OMM table, but I'm glad I did. Now we are being encouraged (almost ordered) to buy a bunch of stuff for PD class. Yet I noticed many second-year people selling theirs. My question: Is it worth it to buy the whole kit, or should I just beg, borrow, or steal what I need?

Any advice appreciated.

t-bone

Members don't see this ad.

when I took physical diagnosis we also got the list of stuff a mile long, most of which is in my garage now.
buy a reflex hammer and an otoscope/ophthalmoscope.
borrow the rest.

And even reflex hammers can be obtained for free from many drug reps. Yes, the oto/ophthalmoscope you need. I didn't think you would but I did a rotation at a rural clinic that didn't have them hanging on the walls like most places. So I had to carry mine around to each patient.

My school's bookstore carried these expensive BP cuffs with peds and thigh cuffs in the bag. I am sure they were nice, but I went to a nursing supply place and got one for less than $20. I used it during Phy Dx class and then never again. It is in a box somewhere in my house with some other stuff I never use.

Members don't see this ad :)
....but get a good stethoscope....

Echo the good stethescope - Littman Card III has been great with adult & peds heads right there. Not the only one.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably skip the oto/optho. $500 is alot of money for something you are only going to use a few times during PD classes, and even then you won't see the darn retinal vessels! (pupillary dilation & practice practice practice req!) Even a rural clinic should have a set available - Docs will accomodate you (few exceptions, as above - probably an exception.)

If you really want a diagnostic set, buy used, or check out the W-A PocketScope Set 92821 - it is more pocket sized and about half the price. I have seen it and it looks cool, but uses regular batteries.

Skip the BP cuff (this is the LAST thing you are going to want to carry around), penlight (free), reflex hammer (free, on ward, or use edge of steth), tuning forks, and doctor bags. If I have forgotten anything, skip them too! Seriously. I really think this is one of the biggest scams that schools/clubs put on, is asking you to blow $1000 for crap you are going to use twice during your first year and never again. Borrow from the richies!

Once you get out onto the floor, you will be looking for ways to carry less crap around, and that is a big enough battle. Rigt now all I carry is a steth, penlight, and a few tongue depressors and pens, and an evil pager. Save the rest of your pocket space and cash for ward texts and a handheld computer (a definite must on the floors, see other discussion threads.) Get a white coat with plenty of pockets, inside and out.

A caveat - you may need everything I just said to skip if you do an international or a medically underserved rotation, but wait, ask, and buy then, not now.

Well, I ran out of ramble.

Chris "diagnostic-set-in-the-drawer-for-2-years" Topher