Physical Disability Accomodations for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squirrel33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm about the register for the MCAT at the end of this summer, and I know that there can be accommodations made for those with "disabilities". I do not like to title myself as disabled, however I do have a physical disability in which I have been given extra time for exams in college. I know the MCAT has very strict guidelines and I have read all of the requirements for accommodations. I believe that I would fit these requirements, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone getting extra time for having narcolepsy? For those of you who aren't familiar with narcolepsy, it is a chronic neurological condition characterized by frequent onsets of fatigue and uncontrollable sleep attacks. Although I take medication for this condition, it only prevents me from falling asleep, not from being chronically tired. I've been given extra time on exams throughout college because I tend to take longer to comprehend what I read and process my thoughts as I don't always exactly feel "well rested". I know I'll most likely get some sarcastic comments from those who believe you "shouldn't be doctor if you have narcolepsy" etc. as I've seen some rude comments to people asking about other disabilities. I am very capable of achieving good grades and am not any less intelligent due to my condition. I've just had to work a bit harder and am often more physically exhausted than the typical student. Asking for extra time is not asking to immensely enhance my score (I'm sure everyone would love extra time), but to make the test manageable in my condition.
Any input will be well appreciated,
Thank you :)
-Squirrel

Members don't see this ad.

Your score will be starred with the accommodation. If you can manage a decent score without needing extra time, on practice tests etc., I would not use this option.

I also have a physical disability that affects my mobility and ability to write quickly and looked into it. I was told by an admissions person at a top 10 med school that if you can manage a competitive score without the flag, you should try to do that. However, if the extra time brings you up from say a 23 to a 30, then definitely use accommodations. Hope that helps with your decision and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses.

GreenRabbit-Yeah I will see how I do with timed practice tests. That will probably determine whether or not I apply for accommodations. I was just worried that I wouldn't be able to take a timed practice test that would reflect my score after studying, as one must apply 60 days ahead of the prospective test date. I'm beginning my studying next week though, so I guess I should still be able to have a good idea of where I'm at before I would apply for accommodations in June. Thanks.

brynleerose- You're right, the score is the most important part, whether its flagged or not, but may look better if not shown that I had accommodations. Although as far as my score being starred, I was wondering how bad that would actually look. I have a friend who is a student interviewer at the med-school she is attending now, and she said that mentioning my condition in my application would make for a great personal statement, as long as I make sure to state that it's controllable and being managed. At first I was wondering if that would weaken my application but maybe it would strengthen it, given how well I've done so far in school. If they see why my score was flagged, maybe it wouldn't negatively impact my score.

Thanks again for the input.

Im Learning- I'm not sure I know how to merge a thread, but feel free to do so if you can.

-Squirrel

GreenRabbit-Yeah I will see how I do with timed practice tests. That will probably determine whether or not I apply for accommodations. I was just worried that I wouldn't be able to take a timed practice test that would reflect my score after studying, as one must apply 60 days ahead of the prospective test date. I'm beginning my studying next week though, so I guess I should still be able to have a good idea of where I'm at before I would apply for accommodations in June. Thanks.

brynleerose- You're right, the score is the most important part, whether its flagged or not, but may look better if not shown that I had accommodations. Although as far as my score being starred, I was wondering how bad that would actually look. I have a friend who is a student interviewer at the med-school she is attending now, and she said that mentioning my condition in my application would make for a great personal statement, as long as I make sure to state that it's controllable and being managed. At first I was wondering if that would weaken my application but maybe it would strengthen it, given how well I've done so far in school. If they see why my score was flagged, maybe it wouldn't negatively impact my score.

Im Learning- I'm not sure I know how to merge a thread, but feel free to do so if you can.

-Squirrel

Squirrel -- are you allowed to apply for (and receive permission to receive) accommodations and then opt to NOT use them (and to not have your test flagged)? If you are allowed to do this, then there are really two separate issues here. The first issue issue is whether or not to apply for accommodations. The second issue is whether or not to actually use the accommodations should your request for nonstandard testing be granted by the AAMC.

I am just thinking that if opting out of accommodations after being granted accommodations is, in fact, an option, then you would not really have much to lose by applying for accommodations NOW (before you have started your MCAT studying), and then at a later date when you have a better sense of your performance under standard timed conditions, you could decide whether or not to make use of the accommodations.

Do you know if the AAMC gives you this option?

Edit: I just checked the AAMC website, and as Im Learning writes below, you do have the option to opt out. According to the AAMC website, to opt out of accommodations applicants can submit a completed AAMC MCAT Disability Accommodation Waiver form, which can be downloaded from the AAMC website.

Last edited:
Dang above poster. You average what? Three posts a year...

You speak only wise words.

I personally am choosing to opt out of accommodations bc I don't want the (*)

Hello all,
I'm about the register for the MCAT at the end of this summer, and I know that there can be accommodations made for those with "disabilities". I do not like to title myself as disabled, however I do have a physical disability in which I have been given extra time for exams in college. I know the MCAT has very strict guidelines and I have read all of the requirements for accommodations. I believe that I would fit these requirements, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone getting extra time for having narcolepsy? For those of you who aren't familiar with narcolepsy, it is a chronic neurological condition characterized by frequent onsets of fatigue and uncontrollable sleep attacks. Although I take medication for this condition, it only prevents me from falling asleep, not from being chronically tired. I've been given extra time on exams throughout college because I tend to take longer to comprehend what I read and process my thoughts as I don't always exactly feel "well rested". I know I'll most likely get some sarcastic comments from those who believe you "shouldn't be doctor if you have narcolepsy" etc. as I've seen some rude comments to people asking about other disabilities. I am very capable of achieving good grades and am not any less intelligent due to my condition. I've just had to work a bit harder and am often more physically exhausted than the typical student. Asking for extra time is not asking to immensely enhance my score (I'm sure everyone would love extra time), but to make the test manageable in my condition.
Any input will be well appreciated,
Thank you :)
-Squirrel
Hello.
Yes, AMCAS flags people who take the exam with accomodations taking extra time. They say that they do not flag if the accomodation does not require extra time. However, they also say that they provide no data as to the reason for the extra time required, either.
Personally, this is disturbing to me, as I know that medical schools are not above discriminating,. Rationalizations for discrimination apply to age and disabilities, just as you will find people expressing in forums like this one.
So although you are "protected" by the right to require accomodation for the exam, you need to consider whether you will get the chance to "make your case" regarding your capacity in medical school, or whether the flag will stop you from entering the interview stage. If you can do much better with the accomodation,however, this may not be an issue - if you chose your school carefully and utilize your recommendations to help you on this score.
Do no underestimate the discrimination in medical schools! At the same time, you need to be sure you can do your best.
By the way, there was a study done that indicated that persons requiring extra time by way of ADA protections, did in fact do better with accomodations. You may be interested in the tone of the article, though.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15044172

Hello.
Yes, AMCAS flags people who take the exam with accomodations taking extra time. They say that they do not flag if the accomodation does not require extra time. However, they also say that they provide no data as to the reason for the extra time required, either.
Personally, this is disturbing to me, as I know that medical schools are not above discriminating,. Rationalizations for discrimination apply to age and disabilities, just as you will find people expressing in forums like this one.
So although you are "protected" by the right to require accomodation for the exam, you need to consider whether you will get the chance to "make your case" regarding your capacity in medical school, or whether the flag will stop you from entering the interview stage. If you can do much better with the accomodation,however, this may not be an issue - if you chose your school carefully and utilize your recommendations to help you on this score.
Do no underestimate the discrimination in medical schools! At the same time, you need to be sure you can do your best.
By the way, there was a study done that indicated that persons requiring extra time by way of ADA protections, did in fact do better with accomodations. You may be interested in the tone of the article, though.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15044172

Discrimination?? You're f***ing kidding me.

When medical schools reject you because you can't spell accommodation, are you going to call discrimination on that too?

I've heard that ADCOMs do take things like this into consideration. For example, if you can't even take pre-med test without special accomodations, how can handle real life situations that will not slow down just for you? I know it sounds mean, but it's a legitimate concern imo.

I mean I understand the disability, but at the end of the day anything that prevents optimal patient care is a concern for everyone. With that in mind, "discrimination" should take a back seat to quality of care.

-Squirrel

The thing about that is, however well you're doing is due in part to receiving disability benefits which exist to try and put you at an equal opportunity level to non-disabled students. So what it seems (to me) like you're trying to do is say "Hey, I'm disabled but I'm doing just as well or better than non-disabled students." When the reality is, you are doing just as well or better because of special treatment. What I'm saying is, if you get a 30 with special accomodations, it might not be "worth" as much as a non-disabled student who gets a 30. The hardest part about the MCAT for a lot of people is the time constraint, and if you get more time the test is much much easier. Obviously I sound like an ass, but the truth is the truth.