Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Physical disability. Should apply as "disadvantaged?"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hopefulmed195, Dec 18, 2008.

1. hopefulmed195

2+ Year Member

I have a physical disability. I face obstacles due that every single day. I have to work harder in order to catch up with my classes and do well in them. However, I'm still fortunate financially, and I go to a great school. The AMCAS application asks, "Do you wish to be considered a disadvantaged applicant by any of your designated medical schools that may consider such factors (social, economic or educational)?" Does my disability apply to this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    physical disabilities do not fit into any of the categories that the term "disadvantaged" refers to here.

4. EastCoastie87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a physical disability and did not seek disadvantaged student status. That's just me though, my "disability" is a birth defect and doesn't really "disable" me from doing anything besides catching stuff.

5. han14tra

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, I don't think a physical disability by itself makes you disadvantaged on AMCAS. However, if your disability has placed financial strains on your family or if you have educational problems due to your disability, then you are disadvantaged.

I applied disadvantaged because my family had no health insurance for a period of time and we were very low-income. I said I was educationally disadvantaged because my high school had very few resources (half the class was ineligible to graduate because of "No Child Left Behind.")

6. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

How is a physical disability not "disadvantaged"? :confused: I consider it a disadvantage that I can't get into a lot of building on campus, for example, or that I was nearly turned down for a TAship solely on the basis of my physical disability....

7. cyclin M

cyclin M megaman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would consider your physical disability to fall under all 3.

financial - extra financial burden placed on your family to cope with this
    social - might experience social prejudice or ostracization like biogirl215
    educational - not getting to classes on time, having a hard time seeing, etc.

But in the end it is your call. :thumbup:

8. skrilladoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i concur.

anyways, do what you feel is best. the application should reflect you, not someone else's definitions of 'disabilities' in your life. if you feel that you were disabled or held back in a significant way, then mention it.

i come from a family of 11, and trust me, no matter how big of an family income, spreading that 11 ways is a budgeting feat.

good luck, use your confidence, and be the real person that you are in your app.

9. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, it does not fall under the AMCAS set factors. Also, read the technical standards for admission at the schools you are applying to. If the disability hinders necessary actions as a clinical physician ... you could have some big problems. Good luck with all this ... remember that you can always mention it in your PS and how it's forged your life, etc.

10. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

How would a physical disability not be a social disadvantage?