hopefulmed195

10+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2006
Status
I have a physical disability. I face obstacles due that every single day. I have to work harder in order to catch up with my classes and do well in them. However, I'm still fortunate financially, and I go to a great school. The AMCAS application asks, "Do you wish to be considered a disadvantaged applicant by any of your designated medical schools that may consider such factors (social, economic or educational)?" Does my disability apply to this?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I have a physical disability. I face obstacles due that every single day. I have to work harder in order to catch up with my classes and do well in them. However, I'm still fortunate financially, and I go to a great school. The AMCAS application asks, "Do you wish to be considered a disadvantaged applicant by any of your designated medical schools that may consider such factors (social, economic or educational)?" Does my disability apply to this?
physical disabilities do not fit into any of the categories that the term "disadvantaged" refers to here.

EastCoastie87

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a physical disability and did not seek disadvantaged student status. That's just me though, my "disability" is a birth defect and doesn't really "disable" me from doing anything besides catching stuff.

About the Ads

han14tra

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2007
Status
Medical Student
No, I don't think a physical disability by itself makes you disadvantaged on AMCAS. However, if your disability has placed financial strains on your family or if you have educational problems due to your disability, then you are disadvantaged.

I applied disadvantaged because my family had no health insurance for a period of time and we were very low-income. I said I was educationally disadvantaged because my high school had very few resources (half the class was ineligible to graduate because of "No Child Left Behind.")

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2007
Status
How is a physical disability not "disadvantaged"? :confused: I consider it a disadvantage that I can't get into a lot of building on campus, for example, or that I was nearly turned down for a TAship solely on the basis of my physical disability....

cyclin M

megaman
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Bunker
Status
Pre-Medical
I would consider your physical disability to fall under all 3.

financial - extra financial burden placed on your family to cope with this
social - might experience social prejudice or ostracization like biogirl215
educational - not getting to classes on time, having a hard time seeing, etc.

But in the end it is your call. :thumbup:

skrilladoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
i concur.

anyways, do what you feel is best. the application should reflect you, not someone else's definitions of 'disabilities' in your life. if you feel that you were disabled or held back in a significant way, then mention it.

i come from a family of 11, and trust me, no matter how big of an family income, spreading that 11 ways is a budgeting feat.

good luck, use your confidence, and be the real person that you are in your app.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
No, it does not fall under the AMCAS set factors. Also, read the technical standards for admission at the schools you are applying to. If the disability hinders necessary actions as a clinical physician ... you could have some big problems. Good luck with all this ... remember that you can always mention it in your PS and how it's forged your life, etc.

About the Ads