Physical Examination, Immunization, and TB Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor G

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm an incoming student at Western U COMP and like any other schools, I need a physical exam done, as well as current proof of immunization and also TB test. The student health center at my school charges $50 for phy. exam (not covered by insurance); do you all think this is a fair price? Also, for TB, a local clinic charges $15.

The hassle would be on immunization. I tried to pull out old records of immunizations that I've done from long long time ago, but the record is incomplete. I need immunizations on nine different areas (e.g. polio, measles, hepatitis, etc.). It'll be expensive if I do new shots because they are not covered by insurance. What did you guys do? What would you guys suggest?

Thanks a bunch! :)

Members don't see this ad.

luckily for me i went to my dad's office as a kid (i was seen by his partner) so all of my immunization records are on file there and complete. i'm going to get my physical done in the beginning of june by my dad's doctor (which happens to be covered under insurance). your primary doctor now should have a copy of all your records from your pediatrician from the first visit with him. on our immunization form for LECOM it states to write the titer on there so maybe there's a blood test that can be done to measure the titers to tell if you have been immunized or not (i guess we learn about this in med school).

good luck with it all!

$50 for a physical and $15 for TB test is quite reasonable.

Get any vaccinations you need from the local health department.
If you think you've had those vaccinations (which you most likely have) you can have titers drawn to show that you're immune...but sometimes the titers are more expensive than just getting the vaccinations again. Call around to check.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be mistaken, but most undergrad institutions want proof of immunization for resident students. (I remember I had to get MMR re-done b/c my titers were off.) You may want to check your file at your health clinic and see if they have better records for you.

$50 is a good price. $15 for TB is also fair as long as they don't charge to look at it when you come back. Follow Dr. Moms advice on the Immunizations/Titers. If the titers are low/bad you will have to get reimmunized so be certain that you had them or ir might cost you more money in the long run. My insurance would not cover Immunizations but it did cover Titers due to an incomplete medical record.

OP....I had to go through something similar too. So you don't have to repeat any childhood vaccines (MMR, Polio, etc) you can inquire at the administration office for your high school or college. I got my old vaccine records that way. I am quite sure at either institution they have to keep that info for a long time. Plus don't forget to initiate or get your Hepatitis B vaccines if you haven't already.

lmat27 said:
OP....I had to go through something similar too. So you don't have to repeat any childhood vaccines (MMR, Polio, etc) you can inquire at the administration office for your high school or college. I got my old vaccine records that way. I am quite sure at either institution they have to keep that info for a long time. Plus don't forget to initiate or get your Hepatitis B vaccines if you haven't already.

Thanks, but I don't think either my high school or college has the record. Both my high school and my college (UCSD) didn't need it. So if I cannot pull out old documentation, I can do it using the "titer" way? (Depending on which on is more expensive).

Also, what do you mean by "don't forget to initiate or get your Hepatitis B vaccines if you haven't already"?

Hiya fellow classmate!

When they say to initiate your hep B vacs, they are saying you need to start the series by getting the first (and a month after that, your second) shot in the series.

Also, I spoke with the admissions office about the titer issue (since I had my hep B series almost 9 years ago) and they stated that titers are good enough for them.

See you this fall! :)

DrCara said:
Hiya fellow classmate!

When they say to initiate your hep B vacs, they are saying you need to start the series by getting the first (and a month after that, your second) shot in the series.

Also, I spoke with the admissions office about the titer issue (since I had my hep B series almost 9 years ago) and they stated that titers are good enough for them.

See you this fall! :)

Hey DrCara, thanks. How much did they charge you for the titer test, and any other titer tests you have done?

Doctor G,

The only titer I had to get was the Hep B, and the student health center at my school did not charge me for it, or the rest of the stuff required for my physical (w00t!) Also, I got all my PPDs done at work, so they were free as well.

I'm afraid I'm not much help when it comes to knowing the prices of lab work - however, $15 for a PPD and $50 for the physicial doesn't sound unreasonable at all. (However, the titers might cost a bit more...)

Go to your local county health department. You can get immunizations for free or really cheap.

I got my Hep B shots at Health Dept and it's $35/shot, which is pretty good. Don't forget tetanus, it's has to be within 10 years.

Bubblefish(Pop!!!)

Ok... here are the immunities I need for Western U:
1. tetanus
2. diphtheria
3. hepatitis B
4. measles
5. mumps
6. rubella
7. varicella
8. polio
9. ppd
I have a certification of vaccination acquired recently from my family physician. The shots that I received are all from more than 10 years ago. Do you guys know what in the list I need to get new shots for? Thank you!

Doctor G said:
Ok... here are the immunities I need for Western U:
1. tetanus
2. diphtheria
3. hepatitis B
4. measles
5. mumps
6. rubella
7. varicella
8. polio
9. ppd
I have a certification of vaccination acquired recently from my family physician. The shots that I received are all from more than 10 years ago. Do you guys know what in the list I need to get new shots for? Thank you!

Heya G,

Make sure your PPD is less than a year old, and that your tetnus is current. :D

Hello DrCara,

So as long as I have proof that I had immunities for all those listed, no matter how old, (except for tetanus and TB), I don't need to get new shots for them? How about Hepatitis B? Thanks.

Doctor G said:
Hello DrCara,

So as long as I have proof that I had immunities for all those listed, no matter how old, (except for tetanus and TB), I don't need to get new shots for them? How about Hepatitis B? Thanks.

Exactly. For Hep B as long as you got the series of three shots you should be fine. Sometimes they need titers or boosters for hep B if you were vaccinated a while ago...>10-15 years (more or less). Ask the clinic you are going to but my doc won't give me a tetnus shot last time I checked (I guess there was a "shortage" or something). I am preety sure tetnus is primarly given if there's a possible exposure like a deep cut.

Doctor G said:
...I need a physical exam done...

I've noticed this as well, at several schools. This is probably a dumb question but:

1) Why do schools want the results of a complete physical exam?
2) What actions will they take either for or against the student based on the contents of the exam?
3) Who will see it?
4) How will our private medical data be handled?

I can see why they might want a physician to certify that you are not suffering some chronic infectious disease that would put your patients and cohort at risk, but there are less invasive ways to accomplish that goal.

Does anyone know?

-Rob

Check with your school. DMU wants titers for everything. They also request copies of the lab results. Also my campus health center was A LOT cheaper than county health clinic...go figure.. :eek: