physical examination requirement at NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hieveryone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey this is for who got accepted at NYU andd r indians....NYU need skin test for TB..i came to know that if a person has BCG vaccination done( like we indians who has BCG vaccination in childhood) the skin test will be postive....anyone who has gone through this test and has BCG vaccination already done in childhood..pls put ur input:)

Members don't see this ad.

hey this is for who got accepted at NYU andd r indians....NYU need skin test for TB..i came to know that if a person has BCG vaccination done( like we indians who has BCG vaccination in childhood) the skin test will be postive....anyone who has gone through this test and has BCG vaccination already done in childhood..pls put ur input:)

Hieveryone:
It is not necessary that skin test will be positive for everyone who has taken BCG in childhood, the vaccine has only 50-70% efficacy. Eg: I tested negative even after BCG.
Either way, even if one does have a positive TB skin test, that is followed up by a chest x-ray to rule out active disease. So, your clinician can guide you here.
Hope that helps!
Reva

even i tested negative 2 yrs back despite taking BCG in childhood

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the Indian docs tend to test +ve due to BCG or exposure somewhere in clinical practice. But as long as your chest x ray is normal, there is no problem. Remember not to get PPD test done again if you have tested +ve once before because this will cause serious problems, just get your chest x ray done. Hope this helps. And it is not neccessary to get the Meningitis vaccine if you will not stay in NYU housing

i am indian girl..i tested positive for ppd skin test for TB probably due to previous BCG vaccine but my chest x-ray is absolutely normal...but still i am tense abt getting into NYU...will they consider it against me?..am i ok??pls tell me

i am indian girl..i tested positive for ppd skin test for TB probably due to previous BCG vaccine but my chest x-ray is absolutely normal...but still i am tense abt getting into NYU...will they consider it against me?..am i ok??pls tell me

Everybody tends to get worried the first time but its ok. As I stated earlier, there is nothing to worry if your chest x ray is normal. There will be no problems, just send a copy of your x ray report along with the forms.

thanks ninja91...if anyone else can put some input..Also if someone is in same situation as i am in..

come on guyz put some more views.......

I think +ve ppd means that you have been exposed to the bacilli at some point in you life. It could be via BCG or other sources especially in some areas where TB is endemic.In india some of us had general medicine rotations in govt hospitals so that could be a source too.

Some of us have -ve results even after BCG, I guess its like some ppl dont have enough antibody titre even after 3 shots of hep B vaccine ( just a comparision, correct me if I am wrong).

So if u have had a +ve ppd and -ve chest x-ray u are good. Some schools require symptom chk but u dont ever need another PPD. GL:thumbup:

I think +ve ppd means that you have been exposed to the bacilli at some point in you life. It could be via BCG or other sources especially in some areas where TB is endemic.In india some of us had general medicine rotations in govt hospitals so that could be a source too.

Some of us have -ve results even after BCG, I guess its like some ppl dont have enough antibody titre even after 3 shots of hep B vaccine ( just a comparision, correct me if I am wrong).

So if u have had a +ve ppd and -ve chest x-ray u are good. Some schools require symptom chk but u dont ever need another PPD. GL:thumbup:
some schools???what abt NYU...will there be any problem for me to get into NYU...I have done so much of hard work..should i call NYU and ask???/

some schools???what abt NYU...will there be any problem for me to get into NYU...I have done so much of hard work..should i call NYU and ask???/

Hey donot panic, there is no need to call NYU. Just send in the normal x ray report. I have the same case as you. Its going to be fine

I dont see any reason for panic. If you see the majority population in NYU is indian. As you have already mentioned, BCG vaccine can give a + ppd. Also most indian or south asian people have a subclinical form of TB at some point of their lives. So its normal for a +ppd test. If i am not wrong,you will remain ppd+ve for the rest of your life.

It should be fine.

Yes, once you test positive for the PPD test, you will always test positive. PPD test is a screening test, not a confirmatory test and clinicians know that you will get false positives and false negatives. So, getting a chest x-ray would be the next step. Enclosing the results of the PPD & the chest x-ray with the physical examination sign-off sheet (included in the Info packet) from your doctor would be the final step.
A high % of foreign-born people test PPD postive, clinicians and schools know what to expect. Please do not worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please can you tell me how much is the cost all the physician examination including the laboratory tests?
Thanks a bunch!!

Hi there,

I had my Chest X-ray done in June 2007
PPD test, varicella, and Immigration related Immunization in August 2007.

Do they serve the purpose for NYUCD AP 2011 admission protocol or do i have to get fresh reports ?

Any insights are highly appreciated....

PPD or Chest X ray report has to be within the last 6 months.
Immunization as per age schedule or whenever one took it as documented and proof of Antibody titre documented from lab reports.

akg, if you tested +ve in PPD then a recent chest x ray or a PPD if you tested -ve.

dentistadeperu, the cost for the physician can be from $50 to $250 and for the antibody titre from $75 to $400. You should use your health insurance.

I have submitted my forms to NYU and am done with them, any Q's are welcome.

Immunization as per age schedule or whenever one took it as documented and proof of Antibody titre documented from lab reports within last 6 months.

akg, if you tested +ve in PPD then a recent chest x ray or a PPD if you tested -ve.

dentistadeperu, the cost for the physician can be from $50 to $250 and for the antibody titre from $75 to $400. You should use your health insurance.

thanks a lot for the info...:thumbup::thumbup:

Immunization as per age schedule or whenever one took it as documented and proof of Antibody titre documented from lab reports within last 6 months.

hey did they say anything abt ur positive skin test?did u talk to them??

hey did they say anything abt ur positive skin test?did u talk to them??

as I stated earlier too, as long as you have a normal chest x ray, its fine. So there is nothing to worry

I just called NYU, the lady said that the titer report can be more than six month old. Only the chest x-ray should be within last 6 months. I hope this helps. bye

adiwana

Immunization as per age schedule or whenever one took it as documented and proof of Antibody titre documented from lab reports.

Please help me! I just got the admission packet. What should I do next ? An appoiment to a phycisian or go directly to an immunization center .Who gives me the skin test and titer for antybodies? and the vaccines that I don't have?

Please help me! I just got the admission packet. What should I do next ? An appoiment to a phycisian or go directly to an immunization center .Who gives me the skin test and titer for antybodies? and the vaccines that I don't have?

You will have to go to a physician for your general check up and the physician has to fill out the form with the immunization details. If you need to take immunization then the physician should be able to give you them. The physician will give you the lab forms for antibody titre too. The PPD can be done by the physician. Which city are you located?

You will have to go to a physician for your general check up and the physician has to fill out the form with the immunization details. If you need to take immunization then the physician should be able to give you them. The physician will give you the lab forms for antibody titre too. The PPD can be done by the physician. Which city are you located?

Thank you ! I did see a physician today, so i found out what I need to do.
But thank you again:) .I'm in Florida (pompano beach)

If somebody is planning for nyu insurance plan after admitting then what health plan you will select, as basic plan is more than 1500/year and comprehensive is more than 2200/year. AS which plan is better for us coverage wise.

If someone know abt this ,please give your opnion.
thanks,

Has somebody got the Varicella titre done for chicken pox. Can u tell plz what is the normal value range along with its unit ?

If somebody is planning for nyu insurance plan after admitting then what health plan you will select, as basic plan is more than 1500/year and comprehensive is more than 2200/year. AS which plan is better for us coverage wise.

If someone know abt this ,please give your opnion.
thanks,

I feel a comprehensive plan should be better than a basic plan. The basic plan may have a lesser premium but you will have to shell out more money when you consult a doctor or get hospital services. A comprehensive plan may have more premium but you will have more services included in it. Please go through the plan details and the coverage before you take it.

Hi Ninja91,
Just wanted to know if NYU sends us any confirmation mail as to if they have received the immunization sheets that we fax them?
Thank you.

Hi Ninja91,
Just wanted to know if NYU sends us any confirmation mail as to if they have received the immunization sheets that we fax them?
Thank you.
Just call them and ask. I did the same. Number is 212-998-9314
bye
adiwana

Thanks akshi.

As i'm not going to live in the dorms so can somebody tell me that is Menningitis vccination is mandatory or not?....what i think is optional....Please give info about this.Thanks

Thanks akshi.

As i'm not going to live in the dorms so can somebody tell me that is Menningitis vccination is mandatory or not?....what i think is optional....Please give info about this.Thanks

if u are under 25 u can go for it ... if not you dont have to...

Thanks akg, well as i will start whole immunization stuff today so can you tell me how long it will take to get lab reports? and physical examination done.will i be able to submitt all these on time?

Thanks akg, well as i will start whole immunization stuff today so can you tell me how long it will take to get lab reports? and physical examination done.will i be able to submitt all these on time?

i had my blood sample taken on monday afternoon, they haven't given my titres yet...they told me to wait atleast till thursday evening coz preparing a CBP can be done in 24 hrs unlike titers where they have to grow antibodies for MMR or whtever..

hope this helps...

thankyou so much akg.

I'm kind of very late ...my reports will not be on 30april so guys tell me what shd i do right now?.....if i not submitt all these on 30 can my admission will be cancelled?.....Please guide me

[in the same boat I just signed electronicaly my financial aid they toldme they will wait

I'm kind of very late ...my reports will not be on 30april so guys tell me what shd i do right now?.....if i not submitt all these on 30 can my admission will be cancelled?.....Please guide me

i got my lab reports and faxed them yesterday ...gottta check with them again on monday....

but there is a glitch with my PPD titres ...my physician refused to give me a Mantoux test coz i was tetsed negative on 09/10/2007 ..whihc is just 7 months ago...he is with the opinion that American college of chest physicians restricts physicians from giving mantoux ppd test no more than one time in an year..

we spoke to NYUCD admissions office they seem to be unaware of this. I faxed my 09/07 report... i hope they accept it....

Its best to ring up NYUCD Health Screening Unit to confirm the receipt of the Health forms. I think they will be flexible with the last date
Meningitis vaccine is not compulsory if one does not stay in NYU housing.
NYUCD Health Screening Unit also gives immunization if one has not or was not able to take it.

i got my lab reports and faxed them yesterday ...gottta check with them again on monday....

but there is a glitch with my PPD titres ...my physician refused to give me a Mantoux test coz i was tetsed negative on 09/10/2007 ..whihc is just 7 months ago...he is with the opinion that American college of chest physicians restricts physicians from giving mantoux ppd test no more than one time in an year..

we spoke to NYUCD admissions office they seem to be unaware of this. I faxed my 09/07 report... i hope they accept it....

they considered my mantoux test which was done 7 months ago...:)

done with the vacines just my dr let me take an X ray because the positive BCG in the past I will fax the paper tomorrow what about privates loan anybody aplied yet

The only problem you can face is that they will not let you in the first day of class(june 2)...I think you should call the office and let them know about your problem...the nurses are very very nice! They will tell you what to do!

[ medical done , financial aid federal procesed fc is 14300 ? I will this weekend looking apt in jersey city and wehokeen ? good luck the rest

[ medical done , financial aid federal procesed fc is 14300 ? I will this weekend looking apt in jersey city and wehokeen ? good luck the rest
did nyu send the award letter to u as u said that u got federal loans of 14300.i called nyu and they told me that they will start sending the award letters in one or two weeks.....

finally i am done with the medical and lab reports...

do anyone know whats the next step????

thanks in advance