Physical qualifications for AF flight surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atomi

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have to be flight qualified to be a flight surgeon (i.e., pass the same physical as the pilots)?

For example, could you be partially blind in one eye and still be a flight surgeon? (something like 20/20 in one eye and 20/50 corrected in the other)? Failed depth perception test?

Yes/kinda sorta. You'll get something called a Flying Class II physical. This is essentially the same physical that pilots have, but with some caveats. The main one is that you'll never have to have a Flying Class I physical, which is the one where they look at EVERYTHING (stubbed toe, etc.) that's gone wrong with pilots before they decide to invest millions in training them.

A flight surgeon however is already a trained asset: medical school. So the military has much more time and cash invested in you than they do a pilot trainee, therefore they are much more inclined to give you a waiver for many medical conditions.

In the case of a something like the above (i.e., failed depth perception test), you would most likely get a waiver to allow you to be a FS. HOWEVER, this waiver would not allow you to fly as aircrew in all aircraft. For instance, bad depth perception = no fighter jets. Heavy aircraft OK though.

-

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know I can't get a class I medical. I currently hold a classIII civilian medical, and I had to get a waiver to get that. I'm glad to hear they give waviers, but I'm worried they would push me to GMO instead of FS if I have any eyesight issues, which I do.

You've already got a flying class III in? That's a foot in the door. Not sure where you are (med school, intern?) but when you do hit the PGY-1 time, aggressively pursue that FC II. Also keep on telling anyone that you want to be a flight surgeon, and here, here's my flying class II clearance. They need FS's and the fact that you've already got medical flying clearance makes it easy for them to do that.

Though I've heard of bigger screwjobs before.

Pretty sure 20/50 corrected in one eye is a showstopper, at least according to the waiver guide.

Have you considered PRK/LASIK/LASEK?

-

Last edited:
What the heck does a flight surgeon have to do with flying, anyways? Why would it ever make sense for the airforce to spend hundreds of K training a doctor, and then to spend even more money teaching you how to be an air crewman? Even if you aren't a pilot, it takes training to be allowed to touch any of the controls.

It's an amblyopic problem. Can you link me to the waiver guide or send me a copy? At this point I am questioning HPSP altogether. Despite all my research and questioning, I just can't get any straight answer as to what's going to happen to me in 3-4 years if I sign. I don't mind a 2 year gig as a FS as long as I can get a rads residency in the end. In fact, I really want to do FS for a little bit. But I DO NOT want a career in primary care and I DO NOT want a military career. I just can't get a straight answer out of anybody.

No clue how to copy and past from the AFI since it is in chart form, but it is AFI 48-123, Volume 3, Attachment 4.8.

When I was doing my Initial Flying Class II physical, Andrews AFB Optometry "forgot" to correct me to 20/20 because my prescription was old and only got me to 20/25 in both eyes. I discussed this with the SGP there and he stated it was either come back there to show I could be corrected to 20/20 or become a GMO.

You can also do a GMO and then reapply for Rads 2 years later if you are unsuccessful applying during med school/internship.

From the sound of it, you would be best to avoid the HPSP and go for FAP if you want to serve in the military, while avoiding Primary Care.

-

Last edited: