Physical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MizzouDrWannabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my diagnostic MCAT and I did really well in every section except PS. I got a 6 :( I wondered if anybody else had had this experience and then done well on the real MCAT - what did you do to bring up your score?? How many points were you able to increase it? The test I took was AMCAS 6R btw, in case anyone else took that test :)

Members don't see this ad.

i also took my first practice test in PS, i got an 8 in 4R. did u go back and look at why u missed the questions? i did, and i noticed that i made some stupid mistakes and some questions i didnt read correctly. u have to figure out which topics u dont know well and do practice problems, thats my advice. good luck.

I would recommend against burning through AAMC test 7R and 5R until the month prior to the real thing. Burn throungh any other practice tests you can find, though.

UseUrHeadFred said:
I would recommend against burning through AAMC test 7R and 5R until the month prior to the real thing. Burn throungh any other practice tests you can find, though.

I second this

Members don't see this ad :)
MizzouDrWannabe said:
I just took my diagnostic MCAT and I did really well in every section except PS. I got a 6 :( I wondered if anybody else had had this experience and then done well on the real MCAT - what did you do to bring up your score?? How many points were you able to increase it? The test I took was AMCAS 6R btw, in case anyone else took that test :)

Try to figure out why you did poorly. Do you have a weak background or otherwise need to study either physics or gen chem? If so, then that's what to concentrate on. If you know the science well, then maybe you just need to practice doing MCAT passages so you'll get better at them. For me, the problem was that it had been over ten years since I studied physics. I spent a lot of time reviewing physics and I brought my PS score up 4 points from my diagnostic to the real test.

MizzouDrWannabe said:

Was this the Kaplan Diagnostic 1/2 test? If so, its believed that they make this extra hard to set a low score for the 'higher score guarenteed' promotion.

Don't let that score get you down, sometimes you're in the zone sometimes you're not. I haven't taken the actual test, but taken a few practice full lengths and noticed that come 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. test that my scores drastically improved. Main point: practice and make note of what you need to improve on each time you go through a test. Good luck!

I took the liberty of reading some of your other posts (not to stalk you or anything, just to get an idea of where you are), and I'd say don't panic yet. It seems like physics is your weak point b/c of shoddy instruction. Plus, you haven't taken Physics 2 yet. You might want to go through the diagnostic test and see how you did on the questions/areas you have covered in class. You might also want to get a tutor, since 1st semester Physics is pretty fundamental.

Don't forget general chem is a big part of PS, too. Maybe focus on that, the Newtonian physics you've covered in class, and the following topics from Physics 2: light/optics, waves, and circuits. With that solidly under your belt, I'd say it's not unreasonable to get a 9. GL!