Physical Therapy Clinical Director Salary (Private Practice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently working in a Private Practice in New York City. Right now, it looks like in a few months I will be promoted as a Clinical Director at one of their locations the company has just opened up.

Does anyone know what does a Starting PT Clinical Director make in a private practice, specifically in NYC? I just want a general idea.

I have been hearing different numbers ranging from 80k-85k base salary.

Members don't see this ad.

85K for a Director position, in NYC no less? That sounds low for the amount of work and BS you will most likely have to put up with.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
$85K sounds average.
I was approached to manage another clinic by my current employer (national PT outpatient system). As a new manager, they were offering me a 10% raise and bonuses ~$2K quarterly bonuses and yearly bonus if goals were met. Salary and bonus should correlate with size of clinic, the more staff/revenue, the bigger the bonus.

How big of a clinic is it?

$85K sounds average.
I was approached to manage another clinic by my current employer (national PT outpatient system). As a new manager, they were offering me a 10% raise and bonuses ~$2K quarterly bonuses and yearly bonus if goals were met. Salary and bonus should correlate with size of clinic, the more staff/revenue, the bigger the bonus.

How big of a clinic is it?

It's a smaller than normal facility. But it's very functional as the layout looks great. As of right now, it looks like I will be the only PT there along side with an aide in that facility. The aide and I will be doing the basic administration duties such as intakes of new patients, scheduling and etc. Since it's the summer, my numbers have gotten lower due to people on vacation and etc. But before the summer, I would say i was seeing 14-19 patients a day.

We are currently still looking to expand the company in different sections of NYC so the company looks to be growing.

What do you think?

My clinic had 2 PTs, 1 OT/CHT, 1 receptionist.

Your productivity sounds good. It's going to depend on the clinic's overhead costs to see what type of raise you get. Since it is a small clinic and you are only "managing" an aide, I would not expect a huge raise on your base salary, maybe like 5-7%. However, if you feel the location and other factors of the clinic are favorable, I would negotiate an aggressive bonus structure based on your performance in getting patients into the clinic and growing it. Also if you like the company, it is a good step towards becoming a manager in a bigger clinic when someone else leaves, that's where the money is at. Good luck, keep me updated.

My clinic had 2 PTs, 1 OT/CHT, 1 receptionist.

Your productivity sounds good. It's going to depend on the clinic's overhead costs to see what type of raise you get. Since it is a small clinic and you are only "managing" an aide, I would not expect a huge raise on your base salary, maybe like 5-7%. However, if you feel the location and other factors of the clinic are favorable, I would negotiate an aggressive bonus structure based on your performance in getting patients into the clinic and growing it. Also if you like the company, it is a good step towards becoming a manager in a bigger clinic when someone else leaves, that's where the money is at. Good luck, keep me updated.

Thank you for your insight. Will keep you posted!
What I do know is that the average starting PT salary in a hospital is like 72k-75k in NYC (depending on union and etc).
In an OutPt facility it seems to be only 65k

Im second guessing this company at times. I was told they really try to "low ball" you really bad by other therapists that have been there.