Physical Therapy improvement ideas for reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josh0564

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys Iam a undergrad student that is graduating in a few weeks in may and i just recenteley found out that i was not accepted into any of the physical therapy programs that i applied too.

My Gpa is 3.1
Pre req gpa is 3.3
Gre score was 1080

Now i know that i cant go back and raise my overall gpa, i was wondering if retaking the gres and doing better on it will actually raise my chances enough to get into a program for next admission date. Also any ideas anybody would have to help me make any improvements iam open too. Also just wanted to know if any one had bought any GRE books or taken a class that they would highly recommend.

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Princeton Review book, which was helpful for learning how to take the test...I don't think it's a test you can really study for (yeah, you can buy flashcards and memorize 234902834 words, but you don't really need to to do well...the book gives you strategies for how to find the right answer when you don't know what the words mean, etc.)

But I don't think your GRE score is that low? What were your individual section scores? Compare them to the scores of the schools you want to go to.

You could retake some prereqs to boost your GPA and prereq GPA, but again it doesn't seem like it's that low. If you got an Cs in a prereq, definitely retake it at a community college. Maybe you can retake some classes you got "B"s in, especially the more "important" ones to PT (IMO, if you got a B in anatomy/physiology, I would retake it because it's something that will come up again and again in PT school...If you got a B in second semester chemistry, that's probably not as big of a deal).

What about your observation experience? How many hours/settings did you do? Since it'll be another year, see if you can get a job as a paid PT aide someplace....that way you can get more observation experience and get paid in the mean time. If all your experience was outpatient ortho, see if you can get some acute or inpatient observation.

Also look at your recommendations, who wrote them, etc. Maybe you can come up with someone who can write a better one? For example, if you had a PT that you shadowed for 8 hours write one for you, it may not be the best choice, because how much can someone get to know you in that amount of time. If you can get a job working 10, 20, or 40 hours/week at a clinic, then you can have your boss write one, and it'll probably be more reliable/impressive.

Also, maybe try to beef up your personal statement a bit...reread it and see where it could be stronger. Have a PT that you know well read it and offer feedback.

Finally, you can always contact the schools you applied to and didn't get in to and find out what you can do to make a stronger application...they may not tell you, but you never know until you ask.

Good luck!

Hey i have done 120 hours in a outpatient clinic and i think your right, iam going to look for a pt clinic in which i can get a job, but i may go for an hospital instead of outpatient clinic.

I feel like my recommendations were pretty strong but i will try to look for other faculty members that can write me a better letter.

Here is my major question though, do you think repeating a class at a communitty college will real improve my chances, i hear schools alot of the time dont look at communitty college classes with as much respect as University classes.

Also i have a C in Bio 100 and C in physics 2 which iam planning on repeating over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey i have done 120 hours in a outpatient clinic and i think your right, iam going to look for a pt clinic in which i can get a job, but i may go for an hospital instead of outpatient clinic.

I feel like my recommendations were pretty strong but i will try to look for other faculty members that can write me a better letter.

Here is my major question though, do you think repeating a class at a communitty college will real improve my chances, i hear schools alot of the time dont look at communitty college classes with as much respect as University classes.

Also i have a C in Bio 100 and C in physics 2 which iam planning on repeating over the summer.

From my experience after applying, even schools that do care about cc credits (and not all care..) don't frown on them as much once you've completed you undergrad. It only makes sense to even them that you cannot afford to keep taking classes at a four year, especially since no fin. aid is available to you (I even used this as a reason in my interview when they asked about my cc credits). Also, a major factor could be your quant. GRE score, but not sure since you haven't posted. Pt schools want to see a higher quant. score than anything else. Lastly, I think you're on the right track to repeat Bio and Physics 2 and go for that A to boost your GPA.

how many schools did you apply to Josh?

hey guys, thanks for the replys, i got a 560 on the math and 520 on the verbal.

Also i applied to 5 schools, UMB, eastern shore, Howard, Jefferson and Hampton. I didnt even get a interview to any of these schools iam really not sure what went wrong.

damn, that sucks man, your stats seem a little better than some of the people in the acceptance sticky thread. ain't the end of the world though brotha, I'm just gettin started on my prerequisites, so you're in much better shape than I am. best of luck with everything.

I'm sorry to hear that Josh... But by any chance did you make the waiting list for any of these schools?? If so, there is still hope! :)

hey guys, thanks for the replys, i got a 560 on the math and 520 on the verbal.

Also i applied to 5 schools, UMB, eastern shore, Howard, Jefferson and Hampton. I didnt even get a interview to any of these schools iam really not sure what went wrong.