Physical Therapy Residency (benefits?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liftweights

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to a DPT program, I was wondering what types of benefits doing a residency would have after finishing my 3 year program? If any of you have any experience with that please feel free to help me out. Pros/cons? Anything?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congratulations on your acceptance. Second, get through the DPT program. While in the DPT program, you will be able to cross off potential areas (ortho, peds, neuro, acute, SNF, rural, urban, etc) that you will have no real interest in practicing as a DPT. Once that is complete, decide if you are willing to spend another 1-2 years (most full-time residencies are a year and some some hybrid programs that do on-site and web-enhanced classes can be 18 months) learning at a more in-depth level in an area you identified above. If you still want to do a residency, go for it!
From personal experience, I followed the money after PT school and ended up in a SNF. I loved the patients but hated the constant drive for higher RUG (treat patients for longer) at the expense of the patient. While in the SNF, I took some manual classes working toward a certification as I was really drawn to OP ortho with manual emphasis in grad school. I soon realized I wanted to do a residency, even after being out of school for three years, because I wanted to better my clinical reasoning, interact with mentors, and work towards fellowship training.
You'll graduate as a general PT with a basic skill set that will get you by in whatever area you decide to work. If you want to specialize, do a residency. I'm in a hybrid program, however, if I had just graduated I probably would have done a full-time year-long residency looking back.
Hope this helps.

Thanks! Your response definitely helps. See.. I'm really interested in manual therapy as well... But I really don't want to be stuck doing a residency for (like you said) two more years. I want to start paying off my loans and stuff. Hopefully someone on here has completed a residency. I am really wondering if there are any financial benefits to it. And also, while doing the residency, they pay like 1/2 the salary? I know thats how it is for doctors, or at least that its pretty low. So I am also wondering... is it worth the poverty you have to go through for another two years after finishing PT school? What will I gain from this residency besides knowledge? Is this a way to stand out from other candidates? And will I be able to come back and do a residency if I started working already for 5 years or so?

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal experience is that there are no financial benefits to doing a residency. Perhaps when I pass the OCS exam there may be a slight pay raise but I'm not expecting it. For me, it's not about the money but rather the mentorship and clinical reasoning.
The one advantage of a hybrid program is that you work full-time at a clinic without taking a pay-cut that some full-time residents do. I've heard full-time residents in year-long programs being salaried at half or 2/3rd regular pay. If you are in an ortho clinic and wanting to do an ortho residency, having an instructor who is OCS is one of the basic requirements. I work full-time in my clinic, leave every couple months for a week for class, come back to the clinic, do classes, and my mentor comes out for week-long intensives of testing. I use my continuing education as a partial means to pay for the residency, and my employer is kind enough to allow me to work extra hours to off-set the remainder of cost. So, some weeks I work 50-60 hours but I still have a full-time salary.
Things you will gain: Confidence, a mentor/s, improved clinical reasoning, etc.
I came back after being out for three years. I did stay current on some techiques through the certification I was involved in.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I appreciate that information. I guess I will just get through my program and decide during that last year. Hopefully, my program has hybrid programs like that because I need to start paying for my loans somehow after I'm done with school, 1/2 pay wont cut it :)