Physical Therapy Through the Military/ROTC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tora Dora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am currently an MS I in Army ROTC. I joined ROTC thinking I would pursue a career as a doctor within the military, both serving my country and easing the financial burden placed on my parents in regards to my undergraduate and medical schooling. However, following a shredded ACL, reconstruction, and what has now become 5 months of physical therapy I've come to realize that I want to do for injured soldiers that what my PT has done for me. I think that while both PM&R physician and PT are intriguing and respectable professions it is the later that I can truly see my self doing as a career. But becoming a PT is significantly more complicated in terms of financial support than it is to become a doctor.

Within the last 3/4 of the year I have heard some rather unsettling information (with questionable validity) -
1) More and more ROTC cadets are being denied extended study (meaning it would take 4 years to get back to doing what I sought out to do in the first place)
2) HSPS and HSCP are not offered for PTs
3) ROTC is not ideal for those trying to enter the medical professions (including PT)

Right now I am looking at Baylor's Army DPT program. I think it is fantastic and I'd love to go. But I also need to think realistically-usually the program only accepts about 26 applicants per year.
As it stands I can pay for undergraduate but pt school would more than likely require loans and I'd rather owe the military than a bank.

As it stands now my main questions are:
1) has anyone become a physical therapist through the army (or other branches of the military)?
2) Should I stay in ROTC or get out asap and start accumulating observation hours at VA hospitals?
3) Are there any available military programs or scholarships besides Baylor for PTs or should I just suck it up and join the military after obtaining my DPT?

Any help would be appreciated (including redirection to PT/military threads I may have missed)

Members don't see this ad.

I do not have any experience with ROTC, but have looked into the military programs before they discontinued it for PT. I would recommend staying in medical school (you're an MS1?) as your scope of practice will not be as limited.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had to do this all over again, I would have stayed medical school route out of ROTC (Unifirmed health services school is a fantastic program). There just aren't msny PT positions in the military. If you really want to serve and do medical, the army needs doctors. Have you shadowed an army ortho or PMR? Personally, I would get the best grades you can and see how it pans out in the end. But again, free medical school + pay is one of the best deals around if you want to serve patients in uniform.

I ended up going ROTC, then active duty, then got out for PT school which is an option for you too. I am now using my GI Bill to go to PT school for free (plus the military paid for a masters too while I was active duty). In the end, even though it's a longer route my experience and maturity in school helps a lot. I don't regret my time serving and consider it one of the best experiences. In a way, I get to do it all....2 careers, end up doing what I want to and most importantly, no debt. Again, I understand it sounds like an enternity from where you are. But in the grand scheme of life, it goes by in a blink.

(Do not plan to join the military after PT school. It's extremely hard to do. I'm trying to do the same, there just aren't many slots available each year. The problem is not ROTC for you....it's wanting to be a PT in the military. Very small field, not high need. Again, if you love the Army and want to do medical, explore other career paths where the Army need is higher than PT.)

Editing info. til we get it sorted out over PM

Last edited:
https://ermc.amedd.army.mil/landstuhl/army_medical_department_recruiting_program_guide.pdf

It took some digging, but I found it. This was last year's Army medical recruiting guide....so yes, maybe 2015 is different, but I doubt major changes. This document shows that the loan repayment program is NOT being offered to PTs currently. (Fantastic $$ available for PAs, doctors, dentists, psychologists and others). They could choose to offer it again in the future, but PTs are not a critical need for the Army (I'm not saying they aren't important, but they are able to easily fill all of their PT slots). I didn't dig for the other services, but *generally* the medical incentive programs and needs among the Army/AF/Navy are similar.

Hi All!

I am currently an MS I in Army ROTC. I joined ROTC thinking I would pursue a career as a doctor within the military, both serving my country and easing the financial burden placed on my parents in regards to my undergraduate and medical schooling. However, following a shredded ACL, reconstruction, and what has now become 5 months of physical therapy I've come to realize that I want to do for injured soldiers that what my PT has done for me. I think that while both PM&R physician and PT are intriguing and respectable professions it is the later that I can truly see my self doing as a career. But becoming a PT is significantly more complicated in terms of financial support than it is to become a doctor.

Within the last 3/4 of the year I have heard some rather unsettling information (with questionable validity) -
1) More and more ROTC cadets are being denied extended study (meaning it would take 4 years to get back to doing what I sought out to do in the first place)
2) HSPS and HSCP are not offered for PTs
3) ROTC is not ideal for those trying to enter the medical professions (including PT)

Right now I am looking at Baylor's Army DPT program. I think it is fantastic and I'd love to go. But I also need to think realistically-usually the program only accepts about 26 applicants per year.
As it stands I can pay for undergraduate but pt school would more than likely require loans and I'd rather owe the military than a bank.

As it stands now my main questions are:
1) has anyone become a physical therapist through the army (or other branches of the military)?
2) Should I stay in ROTC or get out asap and start accumulating observation hours at VA hospitals?
3) Are there any available military programs or scholarships besides Baylor for PTs or should I just suck it up and join the military after obtaining my DPT?

Any help would be appreciated (including redirection to PT/military threads I may have missed)
hi. I'm a military physical therapist. I would encourage you to finish out your ROTC time and apply to the US Army Baylor University DPT program. We value ROTC experience in our applicants. It teaches leadership and exposes applicants to key facets of military service that a normal undergraduate education does not.

I do not have any experience with ROTC, but have looked into the military programs before they discontinued it for PT. I would recommend staying in medical school (you're an MS1?) as your scope of practice will not be as limited.

The military has not discontinued the program for PT. Military physical therapy is a vibrant, active and growing community of highly professional people.

www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/

Reactions: 1 user
The military has not discontinued the program for PT. Military physical therapy is a vibrant, active and growing community of highly professional people.

www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/

I was referring to the HSPS and HSCP in keeping with the subject. PT's used to be eligible. Alas, all good things end. Everyone here knows that there are PT's in the military. I will challenge your statement about how the community is growing, however. It's locked up tight. The Navy has 11 slots open for 2015 boards.

Are you Navy by any chance?

I was referring to the HSPS and HSCP in keeping with the subject. PT's used to be eligible. Alas, all good things end. Everyone here knows that there are PT's in the military. I will challenge your statement about how the community is growing, however. It's locked up tight. The Navy has 11 slots open for 2015 boards.

Are you Navy by any chance?

Navy has grown PT slots in many areas over last 5 years. In fleet and spec war areas. Doubled training slots in DPT program.

I'm Army