physical therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coca-cola

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools like to accept people with physical therapy degrees? I know they do accept people with any degree just as long as they meet the requirments but I was just wondering as to how they looked at them any different because I can just see it as a little odd kind of like going for a nurse to med school

Members don't see this ad.

coca-cola said:
Do med schools like to accept people with physical therapy degrees? I know they do accept people with any degree just as long as they meet the requirments but I was just wondering as to how they looked at them any different because I can just see it as a little odd kind of like going for a nurse to med school

I doubt if med schools show you a preference because you have a healthcare related professional degree. I'm a pharmacist and I certaintly didn't think that it gave me any sort of advantage with the admissions process. I spent a lot of time in interviews trying to explain why I was leaving a solid career behind to pursue medicine. I got in, but it wasn't easy and it was far from a sure thing.

That being said, I don't regret the route I've taken. I think people with previous healthcare experience bring unique knowledge and perspective to the table.

just stay as a pharmacist and make your money. It's all about the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your avatar is so disturbing... :eek: but in a mesmerizing, creepy way...

I'm an OT trying to go back to med school and I tell you, I'm nervous as hell....the competition is fierce and I may just find myself working as an OT again next year as I reapply...

Keep us posted on your pre-med adventure....

DisgruntledOT said:
Keep us posted on your pre-med adventure....

Will do ... thanks for the input everybody

Do you think telling them it is just a back up plan is a good idea?
You kno just in case you didnt make into med school?

coca-cola said:

No they don't. No physical therapisty has been accepted..ever :p

Just kidding. Like everything else, it doesn't matter. You have a mind and you are allowed to change it. As long as you have good reasons for choosing medicine over whatever else you had planned on doing, and sound all passionate and eager about it, you'll be fine....just like all the English majors, lawyers, phd's, etc. It's all about spin. For example; your degree makes you unique. In fact, it will make you a better doctor than all the biology majors because you care about health and science, not just science. I don't know..something to that effect (or not ;) )

coca-cola said:

I know PTs in med school, so it's probably not an impediment. But it's probably not a benefit either, and creates some need for explanation in your app -- You'll need to have a good answer for why you cannot satisfy your career aspirations with a PT degree, and why you went the PT route in the first place if you really wanted to be an MD.