Physical you guys took before matriculation - can someone go over it please.

Ski2Doc

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
192
0
  1. Resident [Any Field]
  2. Attending Physician
    This is very important as i have a SLIGHT disability that i would rather not disclose. I am aplying and already got into some places but dont want to ask THEM any particular questions since if it doesnt come up why ask.

    Can some ppl please give a BASIC description of the physical. I am sure your vaccinations/ppd are there. However do they for example test your strengh or your bladder or eyesight? Say you have a weak bladder and gotta pee every 30 minutes. How do you do a 4hr surgery.

    This is VERY important to me, please just give me a run down.
     

    Cashew

    Nutjob
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jun 23, 2005
    618
    0
    1. Medical Student
      For my physical, the school sent us a form to have the doctor sign saying that "this person is healthy" basically. I took it to the doc, he asked if had any problems. I said no, he signed the form, that was that. No tests.
       

      Law2Doc

      5K+ Member
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      Dec 20, 2004
      30,880
      10,057
      1. Attending Physician
        Ski2Doc said:
        This is very important as i have a SLIGHT disability that i would rather not disclose. I am aplying and already got into some places but dont want to ask THEM any particular questions since if it doesnt come up why ask.

        Can some ppl please give a BASIC description of the physical. I am sure your vaccinations/ppd are there. However do they for example test your strengh or your bladder or eyesight? Say you have a weak bladder and gotta pee every 30 minutes. How do you do a 4hr surgery.

        This is VERY important to me, please just give me a run down.

        I agree with the prior poster that the physical is just a short form to be signed by your doctor and a need for updated vaccinations. But being able to refrain from using the facilities for a couple hours at a time is fairly important in med school and training. There will be times (exams, surgeries, meetings) when you will simply not be permitted to leave every 30 minutes. Similarly, having eyesight issues which make you unable to satisfy the rigors of school and training is something of you need to make schools aware - you will be asked to see and identify things in school, and certainly cannot be involved in medical procedures involving things you can't adequately see. A lot of med schools make you sign a form indicating any impairments to senses you have that could be hurdles in practicing medicine.
         
        About the Ads
        Ski2Doc said:
        This is very important as i have a SLIGHT disability that i would rather not disclose. I am aplying and already got into some places but dont want to ask THEM any particular questions since if it doesnt come up why ask.

        Can some ppl please give a BASIC description of the physical. I am sure your vaccinations/ppd are there. However do they for example test your strengh or your bladder or eyesight? Say you have a weak bladder and gotta pee every 30 minutes. How do you do a 4hr surgery.

        This is VERY important to me, please just give me a run down.

        Hi there,
        Some schools have detailed physical exams that are done in student health. Some have forms that just list your immunizations etc. Most of this depends on the school.

        Most medical schools do not care about your visual accuity. If you can get your work done, your eyesight is your own business. University of Wisconsin graduated a blind student who went into psychiatry so you do not need to see. For that matter, as a medical student, you do not need to see to retract in the OR either.

        For those long surgeries, you do not drink coffee before you start (caffeine is a diuretic) urinate before you go in and with the heat (you are wearing scrubs and an outer gown), you wind up being dehydrated and not needing to urinate. After 6 hours of surgery, I am usually headed for the water cooler and not the porcelain convienence.

        njbmd :)
         

        beanbean

        1K Member
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jan 20, 2002
        1,298
        13
        53
        Connecticut
        1. Attending Physician
          I had no physical before matriculating, only needed to be up-to-date on vaccinations including Hep B. Your medical history is personal and there is no need to disclose it unless you will require special accomodations or it will prevent you from performing required tasks.
           

          OSUdoc08

          Membership Revoked
          Removed
          15+ Year Member
          Sep 30, 2003
          7,684
          6
          1. Medical Student
            Ski2Doc said:
            This is very important as i have a SLIGHT disability that i would rather not disclose. I am aplying and already got into some places but dont want to ask THEM any particular questions since if it doesnt come up why ask.

            Can some ppl please give a BASIC description of the physical. I am sure your vaccinations/ppd are there. However do they for example test your strengh or your bladder or eyesight? Say you have a weak bladder and gotta pee every 30 minutes. How do you do a 4hr surgery.

            This is VERY important to me, please just give me a run down.

            I never did a physical. My classmate is blind in one eye and noone at school knows this.
             

            Vanime

            I am a Happy Tree
            10+ Year Member
            Jun 19, 2004
            8
            0
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              OSUdoc08 said:
              I never did a physical. My classmate is blind in one eye and noone at school knows this.
              Our school gave our PCPs a checklist. Except for the blood work and the typical percussion/auscultation routine, my doctor basically just asked me if I'm healthy, and of course I said yes, so she checked off most everything and sent it to my school. It wasn't a big deal at all, so you shouldn't worry.
               

              OSUdoc08

              Membership Revoked
              Removed
              15+ Year Member
              Sep 30, 2003
              7,684
              6
              1. Medical Student
                Vanime said:
                Our school gave our PCPs a checklist. Except for the blood work and the typical percussion/auscultation routine, my doctor basically just asked me if I'm healthy, and of course I said yes, so she checked off most everything and sent it to my school. It wasn't a big deal at all, so you shouldn't worry.

                Yes, I did go see the doctor and have him fill out a form on me. All that was done on me is a history. No physical, no percussion/auscultation, & no blood work.
                 

                starwisher

                Member
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Oct 21, 2005
                66
                0
                1. Medical Student
                  I think the physical I had before med school was pretty much like a physical before college or high school. I know I had blood drawn because they had to check the titers for chicken pox and hep B, that was the only thing different from my previous school physicals that I can recall. As long as any disability you have wouldn't affect your interaction with patients I don't think the school would have to know about it.
                   

                  OSUdoc08

                  Membership Revoked
                  Removed
                  15+ Year Member
                  Sep 30, 2003
                  7,684
                  6
                  1. Medical Student
                    starwisher said:
                    I think the physical I had before med school was pretty much like a physical before college or high school. I know I had blood drawn because they had to check the titers for chicken pox and hep B, that was the only thing different from my previous school physicals that I can recall. As long as any disability you have wouldn't affect your interaction with patients I don't think the school would have to know about it.

                    Did they do this because you did not have access to your shot records?

                    I turned in my shot records, and have never had blood drawn.
                     
                    About the Ads

                    starwisher

                    Member
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Oct 21, 2005
                    66
                    0
                    1. Medical Student
                      I never went to the doctor when I had chicken pox, so I had no proof that I was immune to it, so I had to have the titers taken to show I had Ab to it. I'm not sure why they had to do the hep B titers, I got the shots when I was in high school and had my full immunization records, since I went to the same doctor's office as far back as I can remember.
                       

                      OSUdoc08

                      Membership Revoked
                      Removed
                      15+ Year Member
                      Sep 30, 2003
                      7,684
                      6
                      1. Medical Student
                        starwisher said:
                        I never went to the doctor when I had chicken pox, so I had no proof that I was immune to it, so I had to have the titers taken to show I had Ab to it. I'm not sure why they had to do the hep B titers, I got the shots when I was in high school and had my full immunization records, since I went to the same doctor's office as far back as I can remember.

                        I just told them I had chicken pox. I never had "proof."

                        They believed me.
                         

                        orientedtoself

                        resident
                        10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Oct 14, 2005
                        823
                        2
                          Ski2Doc said:
                          Say you have a weak bladder and gotta pee every 30 minutes. How do you do a 4hr surgery.
                          4 hours- try a 12 hour operation. Sometimes they let you out to eat. Sometimes they don't. You definitely can't leave every 30 min. I would think about getting a leg bag if I were you, or see a urologist to see if there's anything to be done about your problem.
                           

                          OSUdoc08

                          Membership Revoked
                          Removed
                          15+ Year Member
                          Sep 30, 2003
                          7,684
                          6
                          1. Medical Student
                            orientedtoself said:
                            4 hours- try a 12 hour operation. Sometimes they let you out to eat. Sometimes they don't. You definitely can't leave every 30 min. I would think about getting a leg bag if I were you, or see a urologist to see if there's anything to be done about your problem.

                            Or just don't become a surgeon.
                             

                            OSUdoc08

                            Membership Revoked
                            Removed
                            15+ Year Member
                            Sep 30, 2003
                            7,684
                            6
                            1. Medical Student
                              starwisher said:
                              Maybe your school just trusts you more than mine does. Not like taking a tube of blood to verify that you reallly had chicken pox is that big of a deal.

                              I don't want people stabbing me for no reason and then charging me for it.
                               

                              starwisher

                              Member
                              10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Oct 21, 2005
                              66
                              0
                              1. Medical Student
                                Ski2Doc said:
                                This is very important as i have a SLIGHT disability that i would rather not disclose. I am aplying and already got into some places but dont want to ask THEM any particular questions since if it doesnt come up why ask.

                                Can some ppl please give a BASIC description of the physical. I am sure your vaccinations/ppd are there. However do they for example test your strengh or your bladder or eyesight? Say you have a weak bladder and gotta pee every 30 minutes. How do you do a 4hr surgery.

                                This is VERY important to me, please just give me a run down.


                                You know I just reread your post and I'm curious how exactly you thought a doctor would be able to test your bladder? Anything your doctor knows about how often you pee would be from you telling him or her. Anything else would depend on how thorough a doctor you have. My doctor always did the hand squeezing stregth test and some of the other musculoskeletal exam stuff as part of my routine physicals, but I'm sure some don't. If you go to your regular doctor for the physical they'll probably do basically the same exam they did when you needed a physical for college.
                                 

                                Amxcvbcv

                                Radiologist
                                7+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Dec 6, 2003
                                1,285
                                3
                                Final approach
                                hippocrates.ouhsc.edu
                                1. Resident [Any Field]

                                  starwisher

                                  Member
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Oct 21, 2005
                                  66
                                  0
                                  1. Medical Student
                                    OSUdoc08 said:
                                    I don't want people stabbing me for no reason and then charging me for it.


                                    Well, I was covered by my mom's insurance at that point, so the copay was the same no matter what they did to me, so it really didn't bother me. I'm sure they probably checked my cholesterol and did other routine bloodwork at the time so I would have been giving blood anyway, so what's another test tube full.
                                     
                                    About the Ads

                                    Darth Asclepius

                                    Dark Lord of the Sith
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    5+ Year Member
                                    Feb 13, 2005
                                    292
                                    0
                                    1. Medical Student
                                      OSUdoc08 said:
                                      Did they do this because you did not have access to your shot records?

                                      I turned in my shot records, and have never had blood drawn.

                                      I had to get the titers, too. I had my immunization records, but titers were required (and I had to pay almost $200 since my insurance saw no reason for it).
                                       

                                      t33sg1rl

                                      Senior Member
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      5+ Year Member
                                      Sep 2, 2004
                                      350
                                      1
                                      Ohio
                                        The hep B titer is always required, because after getting the full 3 shot series, only 80% of people are immune... so 20% of people flunk the titer, and when that happens, you need a 4th (or 5th, or 6th) hep B shot, with titers in between each one.

                                        in short, for some of us unlucky types, you get stuck a lot before developing immunity, and the regular 3 shot series isn't all that effective.
                                         

                                        OSUdoc08

                                        Membership Revoked
                                        Removed
                                        15+ Year Member
                                        Sep 30, 2003
                                        7,684
                                        6
                                        1. Medical Student
                                          t33sg1rl said:
                                          The hep B titer is always required, because after getting the full 3 shot series, only 80% of people are immune... so 20% of people flunk the titer, and when that happens, you need a 4th (or 5th, or 6th) hep B shot, with titers in between each one.

                                          in short, for some of us unlucky types, you get stuck a lot before developing immunity, and the regular 3 shot series isn't all that effective.

                                          Always?

                                          I've never had one done.
                                           

                                          odrade1

                                          UASOM alum
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          5+ Year Member
                                          Nov 4, 2005
                                          514
                                          4
                                          Planetary
                                          1. Resident [Any Field]
                                            The titer is required, (You can't work or do coursework in any of the hospitals in our area without it). However, sometimes you can get by with fewer than the 3 shots, if the circumstances are right. I had the first two shots covered by my insurance when I was an undergrad. Then I lost my insurance and couldn't afford to get the last shot and the titer. Last month (after getting insured again) my new doc noticed the hep B vaccinations in my chart & ordered a count of my antibodies for hep B. It is unusual, but it turns out I developed the required level of immunity with only 2 shots.

                                            If you are worried about the inconvienience of hep B shots, don't be. Hep B is much worse. And you can get it from your boyfriend/girlfriend/cheating partner just as easily as you can your patients.
                                             

                                            OSUdoc08

                                            Membership Revoked
                                            Removed
                                            15+ Year Member
                                            Sep 30, 2003
                                            7,684
                                            6
                                            1. Medical Student
                                              odrade1 said:
                                              The titer is required, (You can't work or do coursework in any of the hospitals in our area without it). However, sometimes you can get by with fewer than the 3 shots, if the circumstances are right. I had the first two shots covered by my insurance when I was an undergrad. Then I lost my insurance and couldn't afford to get the last shot and the titer. Last month (after getting insured again) my new doc noticed the hep B vaccinations in my chart & ordered a count of my antibodies for hep B. It is unusual, but it turns out I developed the required level of immunity with only 2 shots.

                                              If you are worried about the inconvienience of hep B shots, don't be. Hep B is much worse. And you can get it from your boyfriend/girlfriend/cheating partner just as easily as you can your patients.

                                              Possibly in your area, but if you have the shot records in my area, it is not required.
                                               

                                              OSUdoc08

                                              Membership Revoked
                                              Removed
                                              15+ Year Member
                                              Sep 30, 2003
                                              7,684
                                              6
                                              1. Medical Student
                                                princessd3 said:
                                                Quick question: I didn't finish my 3 shot Hep B series. In fact, I only had 1 shot. Is that alright? Do I absolutely have to get the rest of shots?

                                                Most Likely. You are at risk for contracting Hep B from a patient or sex partner.

                                                I would get a titer, for starters.
                                                 

                                                princessd3

                                                Senior Member
                                                7+ Year Member
                                                15+ Year Member
                                                Jul 28, 2002
                                                837
                                                1
                                                39
                                                New York
                                                1. Pre-Medical
                                                  OSUdoc08 said:
                                                  Most Likely. You are at risk for contracting Hep B from a patient or sex partner.

                                                  I would get a titer, for starters.

                                                  No I am not a student yet and I don't have a partner so I am not concerned about that. I am just concerned that I only got one out of three shots and do not intend to get anymore until I have to for med school purposes. Is that in itself unsafe?
                                                   

                                                  OSUdoc08

                                                  Membership Revoked
                                                  Removed
                                                  15+ Year Member
                                                  Sep 30, 2003
                                                  7,684
                                                  6
                                                  1. Medical Student
                                                    princessd3 said:
                                                    No I am not a student yet and I don't have a partner so I am not concerned about that. I am just concerned that I only got one out of three shots and do not intend to get anymore until I have to for med school purposes. Is that in itself unsafe?

                                                    Yes. If you wait too long, you may have to get all 3 shots.

                                                    You are at risk for contracting Hep B anytime you are around someone with an open wound.

                                                    You don't have to be having sex or in medical school to be at risk. It is easier to contract Hep B than HIV.

                                                    There is absolutely no reason to wait to get this done.
                                                     

                                                    princessd3

                                                    Senior Member
                                                    7+ Year Member
                                                    15+ Year Member
                                                    Jul 28, 2002
                                                    837
                                                    1
                                                    39
                                                    New York
                                                    1. Pre-Medical
                                                      OSUdoc08 said:
                                                      Yes. If you wait too long, you may have to get all 3 shots.

                                                      You are at risk for contracting Hep B anytime you are around someone with an open wound.

                                                      You don't have to be having sex or in medical school to be at risk. It is easier to contract Hep B than HIV.

                                                      There is absolutely no reason to wait to get this done.

                                                      Hmmm....Ok, thanks!
                                                       

                                                      Law2Doc

                                                      5K+ Member
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      10+ Year Member
                                                      Dec 20, 2004
                                                      30,880
                                                      10,057
                                                      1. Attending Physician
                                                        njbmd said:
                                                        Most medical schools do not care about your visual accuity. If you can get your work done, your eyesight is your own business. University of Wisconsin graduated a blind student who went into psychiatry so you do not need to see. For that matter, as a medical student, you do not need to see to retract in the OR either.

                                                        While some schools will make accomodations for students with impairments as Wisconsin did, I'm not so sure they "do not care". Quite a few schools make you sign form attesting to not having any undisclosed impairment of the senses which may affect your ability to satisfy the coursework, rigors of medical school and clinical requirements. And all schools would want to know if you are blind, deaf, etc., so that they can make the necessary accomodations, assuming they are willing and able. If you cannot see, or can barely see, you simply cannot pass an anatomy practical, cannot identify histology slides, will have trouble diagnosing certain things, etc., so there is no realistic way to think you can fake it -- the school would need to make changes in their curriculum. They might, but you'd need to tell them. I don't imagine the same issues exist with those who are blind in one eye, but if accomodations would need to be made, then the schools need to know.
                                                         

                                                        MSHell

                                                        Deranged User
                                                        10+ Year Member
                                                        Nov 29, 2004
                                                        293
                                                        3
                                                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                                                          Law2Doc said:
                                                          While some schools will make accomodations for students with impairments as Wisconsin did, I'm not so sure they "do not care". Quite a few schools make you sign form attesting to not having any undisclosed impairment of the senses which may affect your ability to satisfy the coursework, rigors of medical school and clinical requirements. And all schools would want to know if you are blind, deaf, etc., so that they can make the necessary accomodations, assuming they are willing and able. If you cannot see, or can barely see, you simply cannot pass an anatomy practical, cannot identify histology slides, will have trouble diagnosing certain things, etc., so there is no realistic way to think you can fake it -- the school would need to make changes in their curriculum. They might, but you'd need to tell them. I don't imagine the same issues exist with those who are blind in one eye, but if accomodations would need to be made, then the schools need to know.

                                                          You're forgetting the blind guy who graduated from medical school. How did he pass anatomy and histo, did learn how to suture, venipuncture? Now I know this guy went into psych, but he did have to pass medical school first.
                                                           

                                                          Law2Doc

                                                          5K+ Member
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          10+ Year Member
                                                          Dec 20, 2004
                                                          30,880
                                                          10,057
                                                          1. Attending Physician
                                                            MSHell said:
                                                            You're forgetting the blind guy who graduated from medical school. How did he pass anatomy and histo, did learn how to suture, venipuncture? Now I know this guy went into psych, but he did have to pass medical school first.

                                                            The school totally revised the curriculum to accomodate him. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm just saying it's not like you can go to school blind, or otherwise disabled and needing accomodations, and not tell anyone.
                                                             

                                                            OSUdoc08

                                                            Membership Revoked
                                                            Removed
                                                            15+ Year Member
                                                            Sep 30, 2003
                                                            7,684
                                                            6
                                                            1. Medical Student
                                                              Law2Doc said:
                                                              While some schools will make accomodations for students with impairments as Wisconsin did, I'm not so sure they "do not care". Quite a few schools make you sign form attesting to not having any undisclosed impairment of the senses which may affect your ability to satisfy the coursework, rigors of medical school and clinical requirements. And all schools would want to know if you are blind, deaf, etc., so that they can make the necessary accomodations, assuming they are willing and able. If you cannot see, or can barely see, you simply cannot pass an anatomy practical, cannot identify histology slides, will have trouble diagnosing certain things, etc., so there is no realistic way to think you can fake it -- the school would need to make changes in their curriculum. They might, but you'd need to tell them. I don't imagine the same issues exist with those who are blind in one eye, but if accomodations would need to be made, then the schools need to know.

                                                              We have a colorblind kid that has trouble with histology, and they had to make accomodations for him.

                                                              My friend that was blind in one eye had no problems, because you normally look in the scope with one eye during practicals anyway.
                                                               

                                                              Chemguync

                                                              Senior Member
                                                              7+ Year Member
                                                              15+ Year Member
                                                              Sep 28, 2002
                                                              186
                                                              1
                                                              41
                                                              Chapel Hill, NC
                                                              1. Medical Student
                                                                Ski2Doc said:
                                                                Say you have a weak bladder and gotta pee every 30 minutes. How do you do a 4hr surgery.

                                                                This is VERY important to me, please just give me a run down.

                                                                Easy. Just ask the nurse (politely, don't be a jerk about it or s/he won't do it) to give you a Foley after she finishes the patient's.
                                                                 
                                                                About the Ads
                                                                This thread is more than 15 years old.

                                                                Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                                                1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                7. This thread is locked.