Physican Shadowing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artaxerxes

Leg Kicker
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone share their experiences with shadow in terms of how they obtained it and what kind of format/timeframe they used.

Also, is it inapropriate to shadow/request to shadow your own primary care physician? or is that perfectly fine

Members don't see this ad.

i shadowed 2 different docs. here's what i did:

for doc #1: one of the hospitals nearby had email addresses of all of the docs. i emailed a ton (probably about 10-15) in a specialty that i was interested in. i was only able to shadow her for one day.

for doc #2: i called a ton of local private/group practices in the area. i explained that i was a pre-med student looking to gain more exposure in the medical field. i asked to speak directly with the physician, if available. i called about 25 different places, but i was only able to speak with one doc. thankfully, that doc let me shadow him. this doc, i've been shadowing him the whole day once a week.

thanks for the info, might have to do the cold call method

I was thinking about asking my pcp, but I think she's still in residency, which might not be a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
you might want to ask your doc if she knows anybody you can shadow. there's nothing wrong with shadowing a resident, but i've heard that you generally don't want to ask your own doc to shadow them.

also you can check with your premed advisor or with the education departments at any hospitals nearby. some hospitals have formal shadowing programs for students interested in medicine

unfortunately hospitals around me don't really have structured programs. As a poster above mentioned, it might not be appropriate to ask your own PCP for shadowing, I'm wondering if thats because of a precieved conflict of interest, poor ettiquote, or something else?

oh, and ttt!

unfortunately hospitals around me don't really have structured programs. As a poster above mentioned, it might not be appropriate to ask your own PCP for shadowing, I'm wondering if thats because of a precieved conflict of interest, poor ettiquote, or something else?

oh, and ttt!

I shadowed my "PCP." The reason I use quotes I shadowed at the home office but another doctor in the practice is my PCP. I honestly don't see it mattering because the doctor it is not going to alter his or her practice to suit you. I fell into your category as far as hospitals go so I understand. The one hospital that does offer educational programs wants participants to jump through hoops to do it. (They wanted more paperwork/tests than I needed to volunteer) I don't think it will be an application killer. I also did it because I am applying via AAMCS and AACOMAS and osteopathic schools like to see a DO LOR. There aren't many in my area (not Philly, at home) so I really didn't have a choice.

If you are having trouble finding a doctor to work with, something to think about is shadowing a PA or nurse practitioner in a field that interests you. I also shadowed doctors, but most of my hours shadowing came from a well respected NP who works as part of a physician group within a department of the medical school near my house. I actually considered my clinical experience with the NP way more valuable than any of my other experiences. I learned SO much because she could be a bit more attentive to me than I have noticed many physicians are with students. I was able to observe many patient procedures, listen to chest sounds (and learned to identify a few murmurs), go through the charts/labs and aks questions, and really got to interact with the patients...overall I felt really welcome and it was a great experience. My interviewers were all impressed with my level of clinical exposure, so I don't think shadowing a PA or NP over a physician will look bad as long as you are getting something out of the experience.

sorry just realized you also wanted to know how we got the opportunities and I forgot to mention that. I was volunteering at a nursing home that the physician group I mentioned visits weekly. Essentially, its a geriatrics/gerontology group that sees patients at various nursing homes and assisted living centers around the region (a different one each day of the week). I got to know the NP really well while working at the one nursing home and asked if I could get involved with the group and shadow her at the different sites. I was able to attend weekly lectures for medical students and physicians during the summers and did clinical shadowing for about 25 hrs/week for about 2 years during all academic breaks.

wow, 25hr/wk, thats some intense shadowing
thanks for all the replies