Physician Assistant deciding to go to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michelnj

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to Forums here. Little background. I am a physician assistant who has been practicing for three years. My background includes my entirety of my career as a PA in orthopedic surgery and another 2 1/2 years working in urgent care concurrently. Been contemplating going back for about the past six months, and I finally decided to do it. Just a couple questions I have been wanting to ask. Hope all of you can help.

My GPA cumulative throughout college was a 3.85, and my science GPA was a 3.75. All of my prerequisites we’re good for the schools I want to go to (includes DO and MD).

I have not taken my MCAT as of yet But I have been studying and plan on taking it within the next six weeks.

I am wondering what you guys think I should shoot for my on MCAT with my background and my GPA. My goal is to get hopefully between 505-515. All advice is appreciated.

On a sidenote, I am also aware of the PA to DO program at LECOM And have already applied there without an MCAT score.

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPAs are great and as long as you have a good answer as to why you want to switch from PA to MD/DO then I'm sure your work experience will be valued highly also.

Depending on what state you live in, I think you'd be competitive for your public MD or some low tier MDs with a 508 or so. I think a 510+ and broad application to MDs would yield acceptances.

Honestly anything 504 or greater and I'd be shocked if you dont get into DO programs.

You're in good shape, just focus on the MCAT and dont rush an application or MCAT attempt. Take it when you're ready. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPAs are great and as long as you have a good answer as to why you want to switch from PA to MD/DO then I'm sure your work experience will be valued highly also.

Depending on what state you live in, I think you'd be competitive for your public MD or some low tier MDs with a 508 or so. I think a 510+ and broad application to MDs would yield acceptances.

Honestly anything 504 or greater and I'd be shocked if you dont get into DO programs.

You're in good shape, just focus on the MCAT and dont rush an application or MCAT attempt. Take it when you're ready. Good luck.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the insight. Any other recommendations? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
PA matriculating MD this august, just wanted to wish you good luck on the journey! My experience was well received at my interviews and agree with the above about discussing your decision to go from one path to another . Feel free to pm me with any questions.

PA matriculating MD this august, just wanted to wish you good luck on the journey! My experience was well received at my interviews and agree with the above about discussing your decision to go from one path to another . Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Thank you for your input! I’ll be in touch and send you a personal message!

Wow, good luck to you! My biggest question is- why? (my background- very non-trad student) When decided on a medical career, I considered PA, and nursing... and now that I just graduated, I continuously wonder why I didn't do PA... especially looking at the mountain of debt. But, hey, to each their own. Best of luck to you!

Wow, good luck to you! My biggest question is- why? (my background- very non-trad student) When decided on a medical career, I considered PA, and nursing... and now that I just graduated, I continuously wonder why I didn't do PA... especially looking at the mountain of debt. But, hey, to each their own. Best of luck to you!

Thank you. I appreciate that. In regards to why I want to go back, I feel limited in my scope of practice as a PA. I always feel like there is a ceiling/limit to what we can do. Many of my friends who went to PA school and graduated note this too, but are completely fine with it and happy with their careers. I am happy for them as well and really do like the PA profession. However, I know that I will always want to strive to do, learn and see more in the field of medicine. This has been a thought that has been in my head for a while but soon became persistent and never went away.

If you want to do Ortho in the future then def aim for an MD school. Otherwise, DO schools are just as good and LECOM will be the best option for you, esp if you can start from year 2...saves time and $$$

A score of 510+ on the MCAT will open doors to MD programs. Good luck!

and LECOM will be the best option for you, esp if you can start from year 2...saves time and $$$

Well, you don't start from Year 2, rather you lose your summers and skip 4th year. Summer one has rotations from 3rd year moved up before going back to class in the fall for 2nd year, then you have to take boards a little earlier than most (i.e. as soon as classes end basically) so that you can have your score back to apply for residency during your 3rd year before you've done any auditions/electives. It's 1 year shorter overall, yes, but you dont really get any breaks, and you still have to complete the full 2 years of bookwork before boards. The time cut off strictly comes from rotations, again mostly of which are 4th year elective/selectives/etc

It's only benefit is to save a year's tuition/start working a year sooner, but it has the potential to limit your time to take boards and limit auditions/electives.

I don't know all of the ins and outs, but I have talked to a couple of the PAs in the APAP program there. It certainly has it's pros, but just dont forget about the cons of it - an extra year for auditions/electives for something competitive could be more advantageous than saving 1 year of tuition. If you're trying to go into the same field you have experience in as a PA or have connections of sorts, that may negate a couple of the cons I was told about.

Last edited: