Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why don't you put it up against my lily-white ***.

I don't care how long you've been in healthcare, it doesn't give you the right to be a bully. And fyi, my first healthcare position was in 1993. Which means I probably have better skin.

I'd like to see how happy you get with another nurse coming in and screwing with one of your, doh, I mean, 'the teams', patients.

I know I wouldn't act like a spoiled child over it. I'd ask her about it rather than being passive-aggressive. And it happens all the time in the sort of unit I work on, so most of the time I roll with it, because in the end as long as the patient gets cared for appropriately, that's what matters. I know I do things differently than others, and they don't get torqued about it. Even though it is "just nursing."

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you put it up against my lily-white ***.

I don't care how long you've been in healthcare, it doesn't give you the right to be a bully. And fyi, my first healthcare position was in 1993. Which means I probably have better skin.

I'd like to see how happy you get with another nurse coming in and screwing with one of your, doh, I mean, 'the teams', patients.

My first healthcare position was in 1971 and I've noticed my skin is losing some elasticity.

I agree with you...no one covering your patients should change anything unless absolutely necessary and document why or call you...unless you're on vacation.

I think this thread needs to be closed due to no discussion about pertinent material. It seems like a mini-flame war between a RN and a PA student. I will check tomorrow and see if it still going on and then email a moderator if so to stop this.

Honestly Starpower and RN4Fab are both partially at fault.

PS-Midlevels are important just like nurses are. I hope you al are remembering that.

Members don't see this ad :)
For PA's the training is more similar to ours- medical students and PA students actually rotate together. I think that the PA training might be a little tougher. Medical school rotations are rough. I had a roommate training to be a nurse, and 12 hours was a long shift for her. My longest shift in medical school was 30 hours. Given that PA students rotate with medical students their hours are more similar to ours than to nursing.

The clinical experience my roommate had was a lot more humane. If I had to do it, I would probably pick NP actually. Nurses are not expected to work 24 hours at a time, and are generally protected by unions. Also, during the training, you can actually work. My roommate became an RN before progressing to NP training. Once you start working on the DNP, then you can practically work full time.

For PA's the training is more similar to ours- medical students and PA students actually rotate together. I think that the PA training might be a little tougher. Medical school rotations are rough. I had a roommate training to be a nurse, and 12 hours was a long shift for her. My longest shift in medical school was 30 hours. Given that PA students rotate with medical students their hours are more similar to ours than to nursing.

The clinical experience my roommate had was a lot more humane. If I had to do it, I would probably pick NP actually. Nurses are not expected to work 24 hours at a time, and are generally protected by unions. Also, during the training, you can actually work. My roommate became an RN before progressing to NP training. Once you start working on the DNP, then you can practically work full time.

agree that np training is more family friendly than pa. can be done part time while still working, can arrange your own rotations at many schools , etc
as a pa student I did > 3000 hrs of clinical rotations my pa-2 yr including trauma surg which was 36 hrs on, 12 off for 5 weeks with 1 day off the entire rotation because we had no inpts that day.(schedule was in theory 24 on/24 off but on your "off day" you were responsible for all of your inpts, many in the icu, and if they needed to go back to the o.r. you went with them so it ended up being 24 on, 12 on, 12 off).

PA training >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NP training. Period.
...thanks for the love Coastie! You're absolutely correct. To tell you the truth, most NPs wish they were PA. I've encountered NPs who speaks highly of PA training.

...thanks for the love Coastie! You're absolutely correct. To tell you the truth, most NPs wish they were PA. I've encountered NPs who speaks highly of PA training.

PAs are trained in the medical model in a rigorous program, standardized across the country.

NPs can be trained online. They think they can be independent after fewer clinical hours and science training than a senior PA student.

NUFF SAID.

PAs are trained in the medical model in a rigorous program, standardized across the country.

NPs can be trained online. They think they can be independent after fewer clinical hours and science training than a senior PA student.

NUFF SAID.

So glad that you're an expert on the subject!:laugh:

NUFF SAID.

You are absolutely correct. PA curriculum is hardcore, my significant other is going through it. All I can say is that I am quite impressed.