Physician Assistant student looking for clinical rotation in Africa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCLee

Keepin' busy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--Posted this in the Int'l forum, but putting it here on the advice of emedpa (thanks).

All:

I'm a Physician Assistant student currently in my clinical rotations at Emory in Atlanta, GA. Next summer, I'd like to spend two months working underneath an English-speaking doctor or PA in Africa.

The more rural and/or underserved the facility, the better. I'll be there to learn, but I'd like a challenge.

I'd also prefer the opportunity to care for refugee or victims of natural/man-made disasters, but I would love any chance at all.

I would be responsible for airfare, lodging, etc., although I would certainly appreciate advice in arranging it.

I also understand that there might be some concerns about my readiness. Previously, I served as a nurse in a Forward Surgical Team in Afghanistan and as a field medic in Iraq. I feel that those prepared me to deal with the challenges I'll face in Africa.

The point of this rotation is to train myself for work in humanitarian medicine after graduation. I know I have a long way to go, and I want to start as soon as possible.

Any advice, suggestions, contacts, or guidance would be greatly appreciated, either via post or PM.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.