Physician-Assisted Suicide: Should it Be Legal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should PAS be allowed/legal?

• Yes

Votes: 63 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I'm mixed

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Yes, but with strict regulations

Votes: 88 42.5%

• Total voters

StormingWynn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: I think both "Yes" answers can get a little confusing. The first yes is to allow PAS with little to no regulation (no psych evalution, etc only requirement is to be terminally ill) the second yes is with strict regulation (psych test, terminally ill, last resort, etc).

So, I had to write a small essay on an ethical dilemma. I chose to write about PAS and it got me thinking because of all the points each side makes. Here is the essay I wrote. After reading it, give me some feedback on what your guys' thoughts are on the issue.

Physician Assisted Suicide: is it the Right of a Patient to Choose When to Die?​

A young doctor is assigned to treat a type of patient he has never encountered. He's new to the oncology department of a hospital. What he doesn't realize is that the patient he has been assigned to is a terminally ill patient and his only job is to do his best to make their death as painless and as human as possible. Weeks go by and what seemed like treating a patient until they passed has turned into a nightmare not only for the young doctor, but also the patient's family and most of all, the patient. New medical developments now allow physicians to administer deadly doses of medication to patients, allowing them to pass away in a faster and less painful way. The patient who has been sick for weeks and in terrible pains, begs the young doctor to let him go. The young doctor now faces an ethical dilemma; allow the patient to die by natural causes and continue treating him until he does so or essentially "kill" (which is a common misconception, often confused with euthanasia, because doctors only provide patients with the "medical means to perform the act." (Journal of Law & Medical Ethics)) the patient and prevent them from anymore suffering.
Everyday there are patients who can no longer be saved by the medical limitations there currently are. No one really knows when physician assisted suicide began because it' been illegal throughout history. Before medicine got to the place it is now, all patients could do was wait to pass away or hope for a miracle which rarely came, but now Physicians can shorten and "alleviate" the painful manner in which a lot of patients die. The questions that arise with these new medical procedures are whether physicians should have the power to "control" death and whether should a physician should stand in the sidelines and allow patients to suffer and deprive them of their "right" over their own life. These 2 questions divide the American population into whether they believe it is morally acceptable the concept of physician assisted suicide. According to a poll conducted in 2007 by the Gallup Organization, "49% of Americans say doctor-assisted suicide is morally acceptable, while 44% say it is morally wrong."
The side who debates whether a human should have control over the life of another are those who feel corruption could arise with this practice. Quite understandable, as the authors of MedScape in their article The Continuing Challenge of Assisted Death: Ethical Arguments for and Against Assisted Death, state;
Some authors fear that, should assisted suicide and/or active euthanasia become legalized; the practice will expand from patients with life-threatening illnesses who are capable of making free and informed decisions to vulnerable groups of patients who do not freely choose or who are incapable of choosing or refusing aid in dying. For example, there may be patients who will feel coerced into requesting death by families or communities who cannot or do not want to care for them.​
Of course, with those fears, the side which opposes physician assisted suicides has grounds to stand on. Among people who are against PAS are religious people, people with secular arguments and surprisingly physicians themselves. According to a poll conducted by BMC Medical Ethic, "39% were in favor of a change to the law to allow assisted suicide, 49% opposed a change and 12% neither agreed nor disagreed." With such a high population of medical physicians opposing a law to allow PAS there must be something wrong.
Those who support PAS take a different route. As stated in the Journal of Law & Ethics, "physicians can already alter the rate of which a patient dies by controlling the medical treatment." So this begs the questions, if doctors can cease the treat a patient and the patient will die, why not provide them with the "medical means" to do sooner and quicker and less painfully? MedScape recaps statements by medical workers, "Some clinicians describe specific cases in which extreme suffering led them to assist patients to die; motivated to ‘shepherd' patients through the entire dying process, these clinicians concluded that assisted death was the most beneficent approach available under the circumstances." Under pressure and no available treatments they truly believed that helping a patient die would be the best treatment seeing as being alive only caused harm themselves and to everyone around the patient.
Oregon is currently the only state in the United States and the first jurisdiction in the world to have passed a law enabling physicians to assist terminally ill patients commit suicide; this new legislation is called the "Oregon: The Death with Dignity Act" (Ziegler). The process for administering deadly doses of medication to a patient have to follow strict guidelines which take at least 15 days and approval from all parties involved, whether it be the patient, the physician or the pharmacist, but a psychological assessment is not preformed. However, euthanasia still remains illegal and constitutes homicide if preformed (Ziegler).
Both arguments make great points which create, well an ethical dilemma that cannot be easily resolved. On one side, those who oppose PAS, base their argument on the "Norms of Justice" as well as the "Norm of Individual Rights" as author Gerald F. Cavanagh puts it. They believe that those who are taking the PAS route are losing their focus, especially doctors, which is to provide fair and equal treatment to every and all patients. However small the possibility of the patient to recover and survive, one mustn't waste an opportunity and cut a patient's life short. Also, it destroys the sanctity of the life and death process. It deprives an already weak patient of their rights and sometimes a patient might become cornered into committing suicide. All these faults must be answered and prevented. Justice for the individual's right to get the best treatment possible shouldn't be replaced with the easy way out is what those oppose PAS believe.
On the other hand, those who favor PAS also use the "Norm of Individual Rights" to support their claim. They believe that those who are terminally ill should be able to choose whether they've given up and no longer want to fight or continue fighting until the very end, it's a moral right and should become a legal right. They also argue with the "Norm of Utilitarianism" which states that allowing PAS is not only benefiting the patient, who is dying and will most likely die, but also those around them, relieving everyone of physical and emotional pain, "an action is right if it produces the greatest utility, ‘the greatest good for the greatest number'" (Cavanagh 236). The tie between the "Norm of Utilitarianism" and the "Norm of Individual Rights" is made when PAS can only be preformed (under legal terms like that of Oregon) with the patients written or oral consent.
All arguments presented by both parties are legit and understandable. If a patient chooses to give up the fight and looses their will to continue fighting, there is not much more a physician can do without help from the patient. A patient can refuse treatments whenever he chooses to as he is not legally obligated to continue treatments. Allowing patients to self-administer deadly doses of medication to end their life should be a legal right as it's depriving a patient control over their life. However, precautionary steps should be implemented into the laws to prevent abuse on behalf of patient, the patient's family and all other parties involved. Oregon has a law that allows PAS, but it doesn't require a psychological assessment which can be potentially dangerous as patients can be pressured into committing suicide when they don't want to. The only way to find out whether a patient truly wants to commit suicide by their own free will is if a psychological assessment is preformed. What's surprising in all of this is that according to the poll conducted by Gallup Poll News Service more people were "okay" with euthanasia (which is a physician directly administering the medication to the patient) and the death penalty, both of which take the life a person.

References:

Caroll, Joseph. "Decided Over Moral Acceptability of Doctor-Assisted Suicide; But, Majority Still Support Doctors Legally Helping Terminally Ill Patients Die."Gallup Poll News Service(2007). Academic One File. Web. 01 Mar. 2010.
Cavanagh, Gerald F. "Making Ethical Decision." Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum. Ed. Laurence Hehrens and Leonard J. Rosen. New York; Pearson Longman. 2008.
235-237. Print.
Lee, William, Annabel Price, and Mathew Hotopf. "Survey of Doctor's Opinions of the Legalization of Physician Assisted Suicude." BMC Medical Ethics (2009). Academic One File. Web. 01 Mar. 2010.
"The Continuing Challenge of Assisted Death: Ethical Arguments for and Against Assisted Death."Medscape: Medical News, Full-text Journal Articles & More. Web. 01 Mar. 2010. <http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/468566_4>.
Ziegler, Stephen J. "Collaborated Death: an Exploration of the Swiss Model of Assisted Death for Its Potential to Enhance Oversight and Demedicalize the Dying Process." Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics (2009). Academic One File. Web. March & April 2010.

Sorry mods if this topic isn't allowed to be discussed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personally in cases of terminal illness which is 100% chance of death and its painful. Then assisted suicide should always be a option. However there needs to be strict rules, without which there will be extremely ambiguous situations of which will likely lead to law suits and a lot of hurt people.

Personally in cases of terminal illness which is 100% chance of death and its painful. Then assisted suicide should always be a option. However there needs to be strict rules, without which there will be extremely ambiguous situations of which will likely lead to law suits and a lot of hurt people.

The point argued by those who oppose it, is that until a person dies there is always the possibility (no matter how small) that they can recover. But I agree with you. There need to be strict rules before any PAS is allowed.

LOL, I just looked at your sig and here:

Things to avoid while on SDN
1. Usage of the word All and always or 100%.
2. Asking the question what is a DO?
3. Attempting to get pity.
4. Saying that URM's are taking your med school spots

Members don't see this ad :)
I voted no. I don't want to personally kill someone even if they ask for it.

I think you're getting the terms PAS and euthanasia confused. With PAS, you just provide the patient with the doses to commit the act. You never directly kill the patient.

I don't think you should've posted your essay. If you just turned in your essay and a plagiarism scan were run on it this thread would probably come up.

That said, I think physician-assisted suicide should be legal (with strict regulations).

I don't think you should post your essay. If you just turned in your essay and a plagiarism scan were run on it this thread would probably come up.

That said, I think physician-assisted suicide should be legal.

I have the copy and I can just inform the professor that I'm the author and show her my account on here. We know each other pretty well and plus the dates wont match. I turned it in a few days ago and it's barely being posted now.

The point argued by those who oppose it, is that until a person dies there is always the possibility (no matter how small) that they can recover. But I agree with you. There need to be strict rules before any PAS is allowed.

LOL, I just looked at your sig and here:

And thats the problem here lol. There's always a exception, so idk, but we all know that if a guy is in the last stages of pancreatic cancer there's literally no hope and I think dying in pain is very depressing. But you could also argue that its better to feel pain versus the nothingness void of death.

And thats the problem here lol. There's always a exception, so idk, but we all know that if a guy is in the last stages of pancreatic cancer there's literally no hope and I think dying in pain is very depressing. But you could also argue that its better to feel pain versus the nothingness void of death.

Exactly, and that's why I'm mixed even though I believe it should be legal. Hmm, no wonder there is such a debacle over this. :(

I think you're getting the terms PAS and euthanasia confused. With PAS, you just provide the patient with the doses to commit the act. You never directly kill the patient.

I want my patients to die naturally, i'm against euthanasia (when i first heard this i used to think youth in asia:p) and PAS. It is a hard choice but in the end that's where i stand.

But you could also argue that its better to feel pain versus the nothingness void of death.

Right a lot of people may feel that way but is that our decision to make? Some people openly welcome death and do not fear it (I'm certainly not one of them). It seems cruel to me that we would try to force some of those people to remain in excruciating pain when they are already prepared to die (and will ultimately die by the illness) anyway.

Right a lot of people may feel that way but is that our decision to make? Some people openly welcome death and do not fear it (I'm certainly not one of them). It seems cruel to me that we would try to force some of those people to remain in excruciating pain when they are already prepared to die (and will ultimately die by the illness) anyway.

Which is why I am open in allowing people to do such a thing. It's not my choice and personal bias shouldn't effect this, but more then likely in such a emotional situation personal biases are coaxed out and surface.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want my patients to die naturally, i'm against euthanasia (when i first heard this i used to think youth in asia:p) and PAS. It is a hard choice but in the end that's where i stand.
Yup, me too. When it first came up in a religion class I had in late grade school or early high school, I couldn't figure out, what the life of me, what kids in China had to do with the material we were covering.

How about physician-dictated suicide?

That's pretty uncompassionate, don't you think? If dying naturally means hours upon hours of pain and suffering, where is the altruism in just standing idly by? Clearly you've never had a loved one with a terminal illness.

Lets see here.....It's ok to kill
1. Felons
2. Terrorist
3. Enemies of the State

but we can't assist people who want to die.

Lets see here.....It's ok to kill
1. Felons
2. Terrorist
3. Enemies of the State

but we can't assist people who want to die.

I think we should assist all terrorists who want to die or be martyrs. Not with airplanes, but the gas chamber.

I'm not taking a stand either way, but would you like to explain what's natural about keeping someone alive on a ventilator with tons of pressor support plus artificial nutrition? If you're going to take the anti- position, you'll need a better reason than that.

I am in favor of PAS for the terminally ill.

I'm not taking a stand either way, but would you like to explain what's natural about keeping someone alive on a ventilator with tons of pressor support plus artificial nutrition? If you're going to take the anti- position, you'll need a better reason than that.

God invented ventilators?

I voted yes, but with strict regulations. I actually should have voted mixed. I'm much more comfortable with the idea of docs being able to write prescriptions for lethal drug combos than I am for said docs to actually do the killing.

natural meaning they don't commit suicide (they die any other way but killing themselves that's what i meant), when i said natural i didn't mean patients on ventilators were "natural" of coarse its anything but natural. But stories (Like this)
leave room for hope but once your dead, its final.

I am a pre-med student, but I have been a massage therapist and worked with the terminally ill and dying. I am for PAS, as well as making people as comfortable as possible. I found myself a lot in the quiet moments I spent gently helping people ease their life and death transition. It doesn't scare me, and I firmly believe that smetimes curing does not mean turning the person out completely well and dnacing to their families. Sometimes it means easing their transition into death, and if you sit there with them dring that time, hold their hand, help the family through it, then you have done a lot of curing, and you've started the healing for the family.

Many times there are those last words between family before the time of death. I have seen it when families are with their loved ones. Everyone from children to the elderly. Yes, death is not easy, someonehas left the surroundings, they aren't there anymore, that is hard.

What if you could help someone in those last moments though? The last words, there is definite closure within this if the ending of a life can be planned.

I am not saying this should be a routine procedure at all. I think that extensive mental health work is required, and physicians should be subjected to it as well. No one should be willy nilly helping people to die. It is heavy, it's one of the things that we most fear.

The thing is though what about the people whom are dying already and have DNRs? I have seen people starving to death or choking on pneumonia filled lungs (full blown AIDS), is this humane? Is the dying process okay? If they have a DNR, and are drowning or they have some form of cancer throghout their whole body that is not curable, and are in pain what is watching the dying process like?

I think that PAS needs to be a separate residency 2 - 4 more years of intense psychiatry training, and the physician needs to be able to deal with death. Also the person administering should be subject to psychiatric examination throughout residency, and their career.

It's ahard choice, but I live in WA where it's legal and I am for it. I have watched many die or the proces of dying. It's hard, but this can be a hgely rewarding process. Also the people whom are terminally ill that try committing suicide I am sure the ways in which they try are messy, and unpleasant, and worse sometimes they don't work.

I am for it with soe strict guidelines.

A

natural meaning they don't commit suicide (they die any other way but killing themselves that's what i meant), when i said natural i didn't mean patients on ventilators were "natural" of coarse its anything but natural. But stories (Like this)
leave room for hope but once your dead, its final.
This makes me want to facepalm in ways nobody can ever imagine.

That's pretty uncompassionate, don't you think? If dying naturally means hours upon hours of pain and suffering, where is the altruism in just standing idly by? Clearly you've never had a loved one with a terminal illness.

no i haven't but that doesn't mean I'm not compassionate. Life is scared to me and I don't ever want to take the life of another by prescribing them lethal dosages. I couldn't live with the "what if's"

no i haven't but that doesn't mean I'm not compassionate. Life is scared to me and I don't ever want to take the life of another by prescribing them lethal dosages. I couldn't live with the "what if's"
Tell me what is sacred about someone living only as a consequence of modern technology. Life is no longer meaningful when you are just a blob in a hospital bed, hooked up to countless machines. The ultimate form of compassion is empathy; try to put yourself in the patient's shoes.

facepalm.jpg
facepalm?

Tell me what is sacred about someone living only as a consequence of modern technology. Life is no longer meaningful when you are just a blob in a hospital bed, hooked up to countless machines. The ultimate form of compassion is empathy; try to put yourself in the patient's shoes.

That is exactly why i'm not signing any DNR's and telling my loved ones (orally and in writing) to keep me alive through any means necessary unless i'm brain dead and its absolutely certain. Did you read that article? Because of the mistake of administering that sleeping pill the patient who was once that "blob" started communicating and doctors noticed the effectiveness of the drug, would that have ever happened if he were terminated?

That is exactly why i'm not signing any DNR's and telling my loved ones (orally and in writing) to keep me alive through any means necessary unless i'm brain dead and its absolutely certain. Did you read that article? Because of the mistake of administering that sleeping pill the patient who was once that "blob" started communicating and doctors noticed the effectiveness of the drug, would that have ever happened if he were terminated?
I looked at the article for less than ten seconds, but I saw that it was about a man who recovered from a coma, which resulted from head trauma. That is not an example of a patient with a terminal illness. Frankly, it's a shame that he broke out of the coma, as the article said that he had horrible brain injuries. He will most likely spend the rest of his life in a vegetative state. Not exactly a high quality of living.

If they removed him from life support, yes, he would not be alive, but his family would also not be burdened with taking care of him for the rest of their lives. I'm sure it's quite depressing to see a previously healthy and functioning loved one in such a debilitated state every single day.

I want to say no but I think that it's unfair to force a patient to live in extreme discomfort and pain. It's hard for people our age to understand now but our bodies will eventually betray us and when they do we will probably end up suffering. I would never advocate for PAS or euthanasia but if my patient was of clear mind and I knew his/her prognosis well, I would have to consider the desires of my patient and let them go through with it.

I hope you just misunderstood the question/intent behind it. No one is asking you to go burdening your conscience with the choices others make. The question was "should it be legal," and just because you have weird spiritual hang ups about the "sacredness" of life, doesn't mean it is ok to impose it on others.

I think it should be legal because people should have the freedom to choose what to do with their lives. That said, I would probably be super uneasy/conflicted about doing it myself, but I have no doubt people should have the choice of what to do with their bodies and their lives.

This kind of reaction is something that irks me to an extreme about religious/moralistic types.

People who take the anti position never have any good reasons for their stance. They just say "well I would never kill someone, that's just wrong" and use that to crutch their lame argument.

I hope you just misunderstood the question/intent behind it. No one is asking you to go burdening your conscience with the choices others make. The question was "should it be legal," and just because you have weird spiritual hang ups about the "sacredness" of life, doesn't mean it is ok to impose it on others.

I think it should be legal because people should have the freedom to choose what to do with their lives. That said, I would probably be super uneasy/conflicted about doing it myself, but I have no doubt people should have the choice of what to do with their bodies and their lives.

This kind of reaction is something that irks me to an extreme about religious/moralistic types.
Yes, yes, and yes. +1000000

People who take the anti position never have any good reasons for their stance. They just say "well I would never kill someone, that's just wrong" and use that to crutch their lame argument.

That's a pretty good principle to live by. I think somebody named God or Jesus talked about it a few years ago.

Though it's an easy bridge to make, let's not make this a religious debate please.

Though it's an easy bridge to make, let's not make this a religious debate please.

I agree with this. That never goes anywhere. Discussion in this thread can be really interesting if we hear a rational argument from the Nay side.

I'm also wanting to hear what Hope has to say that is not a religious/spiritual argument.

Although I'm pretty cynical and atheistic, I still hold some strong beliefs, and one of these is not using medicine to do harm. Sure, if they want to off themselves with a gun, I won't stop them... but physician-assisted suicide is an abuse of medicine.

I was pretty strongly for euthanasia until I spent time in a cancer hospital that treats palliatively only. Turns out, every new advance that improves pain/depression/symptom management has slowly whittled away at requests by patients to be allowed to pass. The head of the program firmly believed that most requests of this nature were due to the failure of medicine to control the above mentioned probems.