Physician groups paying off your medical school loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunnerMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
RunnerMD said:
Yesterday, a coworker of mine told me that I shouldn't be worried about my loans for medical school because after residency, I could join a practice/physician groups that would pay off my loans. Now, I should mention that this individual is the type of person who often gets one or two (MAJOR) details of a story wrong, so I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Anyone heard of this happening? If so, is it common?

Part of this is true. when my sister finished her residency, she was able to get into a group in which she got a pretty good salary in addition to having portion of her students loans paid off by the group. I think this is a relatively common advertising tool that groups of physicians use in order to get brand new physicians to come work with them.

However, there is a catch.....these places are most likely in the middle of nowhere....I.E. very rural cities. Case in point, my sister was working in Hereford, Texas (http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Hereford,+TX). Don't get me wrong though...she got an awesome deal and all, but then again, if you are a big city person it may not be for you.