Physician murdered for not prescribing opioids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
upload_2017-7-30_20-24-23.png

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nowadays it can be extended to the customer service game, i.e. any job with patient contact.

Reactions: 1 user
The point is- never start prescribing opioids for chronic pain for anyone in your practice. It is the expectation of patients that they will receive opioids that caused the problem in this case. If the office makes it clear up front there will be no opioid prescriptions written, ever, then the problem children will go elsewhere. Getting involved with prescribing opioids for chronic pain is a road to hell for many patients and not infrequently for physicians also. "The only winning move is not to play".

Reactions: 1 users
The point is- never start prescribing opioids for chronic pain for anyone in your practice. It is the expectation of patients that they will receive opioids that caused the problem in this case. If the office makes it clear up front there will be no opioid prescriptions written, ever, then the problem children will go elsewhere. Getting involved with prescribing opioids for chronic pain is a road to hell for many patients and not infrequently for physicians also. "The only winning move is not to play".

But he wasn't even his patient

He was shot by the husband of the patient for not prescribing opioids. This doctor did prescribe opioids to some patients. If doctors made it clear up front they do not prescribe opioids and that the patient should go elsewhere if they want opioids, this type of tragedy would not happen.

He was shot by the husband of the patient for not prescribing opioids. This doctor did prescribe opioids to some patients. If doctors made it clear up front they do not prescribe opioids and that the patient should go elsewhere if they want opioids, this type of tragedy would not happen.

Except there will always be another doctor.
Are you saying all opiates should be Schedule I?

Opioids should remain schedule 2 or 3 and tighter restrictions imposed. There are way too many docs out there creating long term chemical dependency and never demonstrating improvement in function or pain. If you check initial pain scores before opioids compared with long term opioid pain scores, they are very similar or worse. How many people on disability start working again once started on opioids?

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Opioids should remain schedule 2 or 3 and tighter restrictions imposed. There are way too many docs out there creating long term chemical dependency and never demonstrating improvement in function or pain. If you check initial pain scores before opioids compared with long term opioid pain scores, they are very similar or worse. How many people on disability start working again once started on opioids?

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile

No one on disability should be started on opiates.
How about restricting to 26 pills from surgeons post-op, 0-10 from ER, and no other Rx can come except from boarded pain physician?

Your ERs are pill mills, in Europe i would estimate that much less that 5% of ER visits are given or prescribed narcotics.

No one on disability should be started on opiates.
How about restricting to 26 pills from surgeons post-op, 0-10 from ER, and no other Rx can come except from boarded pain physician?

Surgeons will riot, and hospitals will cave. Because surgeons are the boss of hospitals since they make the money for the hospital. It will be hard to have something passed from federal level.

Your ERs are pill mills, in Europe i would estimate that much less that 5% of ER visits are given or prescribed narcotics.

This is tough to fix too since our EDs are all overloaded with patients. By that point i think they just want to order them 1 shot of morphine (unless they frequently abuses) and have them leave than have them stay and take up a stretcher for hours