"physician only" designation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stang

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some programs list their program as "physician only" rather than advanced or categorical. Does this mean only physicians with advanced standing will be considered by these programs, so it isn't even worth applying as a US senior? Or is this just another way of saying categorical? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering about this too. I don't think it means it's for physicians with advanced standing. Since all ERAS applicants are physicians, I can't imagine what it means.

I was wondering about this too. I don't think it means it's for physicians with advanced standing. Since all ERAS applicants are physicians, I can't imagine what it means.

Unless you have graduated from medical school, you are not a physician. Thus, not all ERAS applicants are physicians; far from it. The vast majority are students.

A "physician" in terms of ERAS and NRMP is someone who has already graduated from medical school. Perhaps if the OP provides us with a link to such a program description we can glean more from it to arrive at an answer.

I saw it in several FP programs, but I can't link to an ERAS page, I don't think. It's a choice on a program's ERAS page, like one of their tracks - categorical, prelim, and physician-only - with a check mark near each.

I saw it in several FP programs, but I can't link to an ERAS page, I don't think. It's a choice on a program's ERAS page, like one of their tracks - categorical, prelim, and physician-only - with a check mark near each.

That actually helps, as FM does not have Prelim or Advanced Positions, thus this implies to me that ERAS puts this on every program's page.

If you check the NRMP definition page: http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/index.html
it clearly states that the Physician category is open only for those who have previous GME (ie, medical students are not eligible).

Unless you have graduated from medical school, you are not a physician. Thus, not all ERAS applicants are physicians; far from it. The vast majority are students.

A "physician" in terms of ERAS and NRMP is someone who has already graduated from medical school. Perhaps if the OP provides us with a link to such a program description we can glean more from it to arrive at an answer.

Here's what the ERAS program search says for Stanford's radiology program

Stanford University Program, Stanford, CA
ACGME ID: 4200521034, Radiology-Diagnostic
- Diagnostic radiology (Physician only)

Could this be because programs haven't updated their information for the 2009 season yet?

Here's what the ERAS program search says for Stanford's radiology program

Stanford University Program, Stanford, CA
ACGME ID: 4200521034, Radiology-Diagnostic
- Diagnostic radiology (Physician only)

Could this be because programs haven't updated their information for the 2009 season yet?

Perhaps.

As you know, DR requires a Prelim year.

Thus, I would interpret the above as to imply that you are a Prelim Physician/resident applying for their program. In looking at their site, it does not appear that they have an Advanced match, but rather you apply the year before you start (rather than as a medical student).

You may wish to contact them tomorrow for clarification.

If you check the NRMP definition page: http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/index.html
it clearly states that the Physician category is open only for those who have previous GME (ie, medical students are not eligible).

OK, that's the answer then. I just wish they'd be more specific - is 1 yr of GME required? is a full 3- or 4-yr program req'd? What about less than 1 year?

OK, that's the answer then. I just wish they'd be more specific - is 1 yr of GME required? is a full 3- or 4-yr program req'd? What about less than 1 year?

This is simply to separate out applicants who are students from those who are not. As you may know, NRMP provides data tables which differentiate between these categories. They do not specify the length of the training and in their case, it does not matter as long as you have previous GME.

However, in the case of a program you are applying to, one would imagine you would be able to ascertain that. If you are applying for a program that requires 1 year of previous GME, it will say so on FREIDA and you are not eligible for the position if you have less than 1 year. If you are applying for a program that requires more training time, the program will have info on that (ie, for a fellowship).