Physician Reimbursement Strategies

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wisdom2000, Oct 20, 2002.

1. wisdom2000

wisdom2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone know anything about the different physician reimbursement strategies in use these days. I have heard of capitation-type reimbursement and physician incentive plans. But, I don't really know what they are (although I think I have a clue or two about the physician incentive plans).
    This topic has come up at many interviews it seems. I would like to hear what you know about this topic. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wisdom2000

wisdom2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone know anything about those strategies. I am still waiting to hear from you guys. I am interviewing at a school where this issue came up last year.
    Thanks

4. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

are u talkign about how a surgeon or physician gets paid by insurance? if you are ill give u my laymans knowledge. Basiclly the doc bills the insurance and say it is 100 bux. The insurance pays him like 50 to 100 etc. Generally a PPO pays better than an HMO and that is why docs dont take alot of crumby HMO or even PPOS if they have poor reimbursment. Like they may only give him 80 bux for the 100 dollar bil so hed rather take one that paid 100 etc. Same with surgeons, i know from experience that my insurance paid 8k to my surgeon for a bill of 13k, but he takes it still because no insurance really pays 100 percent to the doctor. As for Medicare, for poeple with no insurance, it has one of the, if not the highest payoff to doctors that is why every doctor loves patients with medicaid. Poor poeple get great healthcare in this country it is middleclass that lose out. ANyway im not sure if this is what your talking about.. sorry if it wasnt!