Physician Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.cejkasearch.com/compensation/amga_physician_compensation_survey.htm

Not sure how accurate these salaries are, or if anyone else posted these before. It's a little different from the allied physicians salary survey that's seen on sdn. Shows the salary according to regions as well.

Members don't see this ad.

just curious what the point of your post is?

:nono: You mentioned money. We will all die now. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the best source for physician compensation info is Merritt Hawkins. Their surveys are widely quoted by media outlets and medical journals. Hospitals and medical practices also use their surveys as benchmarks on what to offer new physician recruits. Nonetheless, still take it with a pinch of salt since geography does play a role in salary offers.

The most recent salary survey by Merritt Hawkins is right here(page 5): http://www.merritthawkins.com/pdf/mha2009incentivesurvey.pdf

I think the data for EM is very interesting. There's not much room for advancement in earning potential, compared to most of the other specialties. (M-H data)

Could be good or bad news depending on how you look at it. EM consistency shows it can withstand economic downturns somewhat. The other specialty that shows salary consistency is Derm. There was fluctuations in salary offers for cardio and rads last year. Some cardio practices were offering $180,000 to start compared to the previous year where the lowest offer was $250,000. While the average cardio salary spiked a little, to me it shows that cardio depends much on the general economic trend .

Moral of the story: Follow a specialty you enjoy.:)

I think the data for EM is very interesting. There's not much room for advancement in earning potential, compared to most of the other specialties. (M-H data)

It makes perfect sense. EM doctors usually get paid by the hour and the hourly salaries do not change much in the medical world. They are also usually employed by hospitals and the compensation package is established from the beginning.

The other specialties start with minimum compensation that increases as you become a partner of the practice, your practice growths, etc.

hmm... that article makes me wish i went the nursing route for CRNA.

4 years undergrad + 2 years masters = higher salary than my 4 years undergrad + 4 years med school + 3 years of peds residency.

yeah yeah yeah money isn't everything but... it's important. Esp with 200 K + debt

4 years undergrad + 2 years masters = higher salary than my 4 years undergrad + 4 years med school + 3 years of peds residency.

yeah yeah yeah money isn't everything but... it's important. Esp with 200 K + debt

Yeh because being a CRNA and being a Pediatrician are the same thing...shutup

Could be good or bad news depending on how you look at it. EM consistency shows it can withstand economic downturns somewhat. The other specialty that shows salary consistency is Derm. There was fluctuations in salary offers for cardio and rads last year. Some cardio practices were offering $180,000 to start compared to the previous year where the lowest offer was $250,000. While the average cardio salary spiked a little, to me it shows that cardio depends much on the general economic trend .

Moral of the story: Follow a specialty you enjoy.:)

Makes a lot of sense... also seems to me like there's not a lot of advancement in EM knowledge or training beyond residency (I could be completely wrong... doubt it) unless you get a chance to do a specialty in an IM area.. which wouldn't be EM anymore.

Definitely true.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

are you even in medical school yet??? no? shutup.

talk to me again when you're getting ready to take the boards and your halfway invested in a career with a progressive salary decrease.

something tells me male nurses get harrased alot.....

So everybody says that physician salaries have been steadily declining, but on that Merrit Hawkins survey, most of the salaries have been on the raise since 2005... do economic factors/malpractice premiums actually reverse this trend, or what?

Also... $321,000 for general surgery?? Plus the 10% increase in the healthcare reform bill?? Nice!

It's called "inflation." Ever hear of it?

talk to me again when you're getting ready to take the boards and your halfway invested in a career with a progressive salary decrease.

I said that because in your post, you stated "money isn't everything...", yet you contradict yourself by saying it makes you wish you would have went through nursing to become a CRNA...

Why didn't you apply for an anesthesiology residency if you'd have rather become a CRNA in the first place?...Peds and anesthesiology aren't exactly similar, hence my previous post.

do you think that family practitioner and internists salaries will rise enough in the coming years that at some point their won't be such a shortage of those professions in private practice?

I'm not sure what to make, at least for internal medicine, the hospitalist role is becoming more and more popular as the years go by! my healthcare and hospital system won't even let my internist oversee my care while being in the hospital anymore!

just like to hear everyone's opinions on the subject matter!

You can do a lot more work if you want. EM can take extra shifts, primary care can open a clinic and also do hospital work, etc.

If you need money as a doctor, you won't be lacking extra jobs to do.

I've also heard of these marijuana dispensaries in CA...

I don't think it's realistic. Most doctors are not employees. They are either independent contractors to a hospital or work for a group/solo practice. The salaries listed above are on par with what doctors in academic medicine make since they are actual employees of a university/hospital and are given W-2s.

Not sure what you are talking about as the website lists the salaries for different categories (i.e. physician working in private practice with other physicians, physicians working in teaching hospitals, etc).

Now that insurance reform has passed divide all those numbers by 10!

/trollin'

Ohhhhh. This was a long time ago, but it was BROUGHT. TriathleticGirl you rock.:love:

Informed Consent by Benjamin Brown seems like a good book... less than 10 bux on amazon. Anyone read or own this yet? I'm definately jealous at the guy... well traveled and got into plastics/reconstructive surgery :rolleyes:

woot I posted in this thread a year ago back when I was a duckling! :laugh:

Go for gas then and ball on the lowly paid CRNAs... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Zombie thread, ugh.

You're still a medical student. Become a pediatric anesthesiologist and ca$h the big checks if you like kids and anesthesia.:idea:
Or whine. I prefer the checks.