• Forums Updates - Thursday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Thursday starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.
  • Seeking Outstanding Advisors
    If you have benefited from an amazing advisor, nominate them for the 2024 Advisor of the Year Award! Accepting nominations now through March 31st.

Physician Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctortobe2012

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be shadowing a doc starting next week, hopefully about once a week for a few weeks. What types of questions should I ask to get the most out of my experience? How many times do you guys shadow docs? Any other recommendations, suggestions, etc? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be shadowing a doc starting next week, hopefully about once a week for a few weeks. What types of questions should I ask to get the most out of my experience? How many times do you guys shadow docs? Any other recommendations, suggestions, etc? TIA!

Ask them whatever questions you have about medicine/medical school/etc. I asked the doctors I shadowed about their application process, if they had any school recommendations based on my information, how their career and personal life interact/balance out, etc. I shadowed three doctors in three specialties for one full day each. Make sure you dress appropriately is my only suggestion.

Ask him why he chose medicine, what he envisioned it would be like before medical school, and the reality he sees now. Also ask him about his day, how many patients he sees, how much time he gets on the weekend. Interviewers will ask you what you think life as a physician will be like. Knowing some concrete examples will help you.