Physician suicide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waldenwoods

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.newsweek.com/id/132887
Doctors Who Kill Themselves
by David Noonan

I just thought this article was interesting, and that PBS stations are airing a program on the topic. I did a search, didn't find any other similar threads in the forums, so I am hoping this isn't a duplicate.

Members don't see this ad.

Very interesting read. Thank you for sharing this.

The unsettling truth is that doctors have the highest rate of suicide of any profession. Every year, between 300 and 400 physicians take their own lives—roughly one a day. And, in sharp contrast to the general population, where male suicides outnumber female suicides four to one, the suicide rate among male and female doctors is the same.

I can definantly relate to this.

At my school, one of the MD/PhDs took his own life. It was so sad, because no one knew it was going to happen - and I saw him just several hours before it happened - he was so happy and cheerful like he always was... and then that night..I don't know, but for some reason he took his own life. It was so sad, because it looked as if he was headed towards an incredible carreer and position at my school. Later on when we heard the whole story, this guy - one of the nicest guys I had ever met - he had a serious history of mental problems. The faculty knew about it, and the school did everything it could to help this man....all of this was a secret and they told no one about it.

There have been times when I have fallen into deep depression myself, and sometimes I have actually thought of sucide myself - I think we all do at times - usually I go to sleep or go for a long walk, eat a really good meal. I never ever drive whenever I get depressed though - that would be very dangerous. It happened once that I almost got into a wreck because my mind was so distracted.

Members don't see this ad :)
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=PCa0JAL_FB4[/YOUTUBE]

I think we all do at times - usually I go to sleep or go for a long walk, eat a really good meal. I never ever drive whenever I get depressed though - that would be very dangerous. It happened once that I almost got into a wreck because my mind was so distracted.

Perhaps you should seek some form of help. I agree that many people have thoughts about suicide from time to time, but being so bent that the act of driving becomes dangerous sounds overwhelming. There is no stigma in seeking advice or simply venting out some of those bottled feelings.

[youtube]PCa0JAL_FB4[/youtube]

Perhaps you should seek some form of help. I agree that many people have thoughts about suicide from time to time, but being so bent that the act of driving becomes dangerous sounds overwhelming. There is no stigma in seeking advice or simply venting out some of those bottled feelings.

If you are seriously unhappy with your current situation to the point of thinking about suicide at times I think you should find a way to take back your life. Just one man's opinion.

Mental illness has such a stigma, and often, it only ends up on your "record" if you get treatment. It's really unfortunate.

There's a stigma against being sick in general though, so it is not just limited to mental illness. If you're physically sick, it's not looked upon kindly if you leave to go to the doctor.