Physician takes his own life at Froedtert Hospital as SWAT team responds to suicide threat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rakotomazoto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...deputies-responding-suicide-threat/982280001/

Just saw this on my feed. Such a tragedy, hope everyone who knew him is getting help to cope with their loss. They are certainly in my prayers this morning. It's important to keep an eye out for our colleagues, we have a stressful job and all of us are at risk to give in to the negativity that we all see and experience while caring for our patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Sad. So incredibly sad

Now, having a son of my own, this loss seems even worse...

We had an anesthesiology resident die when I was a Chief. Had ALL the signs. Many, many, many people tried extremely hard to help. I tell every resident that will listen: "Your life is NOT worth this job." I chit chat with all the residents, they all have my number. I hope they'd see me as someone they can come to...

Reactions: 7 users

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like the resident in question has been taken off the program's "2017-2018 residents" page.

On the one hand, that seems quite cold. On the other as a program director what would you do? I think they had another at this program, at least within the last 10 years. I remember hearing about it on the interview trail.

The hospital had to evacuate because he pointed a gun at someone else first. In light of all the public shootings performed by people with mental health problems perhaps we should be glad he only hurt himself.

In fact, why not shoot yourself in the comfort of your own home? That doesn’t make sense to go to work planning on killing yourself with a gun. Perhaps he had a target in mind and then lost his opportunity. Doesn’t that make more sense? Bring a gun to the hospital to duke it out with the surgeon/charge nurse/PD who is making your life miserable. Shoot the ex girlfriend on her nursing shift because she moved on. Waving your gun around in a hospital because you’re suicidal not so much.

ETA: cause of death was fentanyl overdose when he barricaded himself in the OR as SWAT was called. Never fired the gun. The gun was not intended for himself but he brought it to the hospital. Definitely sounds like he was planning on shooting someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
We don’t know why Dr. Hendrix did what he did. Instead of speculating and passing on misinformation (“hospital was evacuated”, “waving a gun around”) you could go read the many articles that have been published.

He was a great guy who always put others first. He would look out for his classmates and he got along well with everyone at work. This is a tragedy on many levels and we will never know what he was thinking in his final hours. What I do know is that he will be missed by many, and that the world could stand to have a few more people like Wayne.

Reactions: 2 users
Instead of speculating and passing on misinformation (“hospital was evacuated”, “waving a gun around”) you could go read the many articles that have been published.

I did read the article. Did you?

“According to the Sheriff's Office, deputies were called to the hospital around 10:30 p.m. on Christmas Day on a report that Hendrix had pointed a gun at another worker and threatened to kill himself.

SWAT team members, deputies and hospital security evacuated the area and searched for Hendrix“

Reactions: 1 user
Suicide is the No. 1 cause of death among male resident physicians in the U.S., according to a study published in May in the journal Academic Medicine.

Does anyone know what No. 1 is for female residents? Figured it would be the same...

Suicide is the No. 1 cause of death among male resident physicians in the U.S., according to a study published in May in the journal Academic Medicine.

Does anyone know what No. 1 is for female residents? Figured it would be the same...

Causes of Death of Residents in ACGME-Accredited Programs... : Academic Medicine

"Between 2000 and 2014, 324 individuals (220 men, 104 women) died while in residency. The leading cause of death was neoplastic disease, followed by suicide, accidents, and other diseases. For male residents the leading cause was suicide, and for female residents, malignancies."

Reactions: 1 users