Physician's and Cardiovascular Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted862527

Chronic stress is linked to increase in heart attacks, strokes, as well as cardiovascular disease. Research supports high stressful occupations as well as lifestyle factors contribute to its pathogenesis.

Considering medicine is a very stressful, exhausting, and demanding field, has there been any research on Physician's health? Anyone aware if Physician's suffer from cardiovascular issues more than the general public?

Members don't see this ad.

I hear that with neurosurgery the cases are so long and sphincter tightening that you end up pooping pearls and losing weight

Reactions: 2 users
Look it up and get back to me

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As it turns out, there's something new called "google" where you search for answers to questions. Let me know how that works out.

Reactions: 1 users
Considering medicine is a very stressful, exhausting, and demanding field, has there been any research on Physician's health? Anyone aware if Physician's suffer from cardiovascular issues more than the general public?

Most of my chronic work stress stems from inappropriate capitalization and improper use of apostrophes.

Reactions: 12 users
This is really hard to tease out. Yes, medicine is stressful but so is being a cop or a firefighter or an airline pilot.
Although it is stressful, physicians also have better access to medical care; they are more likely to have a high income compared to the general public and people with higher income, on average, enjoy better health than those of lower income. In addition, they are more likely to have insurance and they are better educated about what they should do to maintain good health than the average Joe. On the other hand, they tend to be more neglectful of their health compared with the general public.

Physicians and nurses and other health professionals (i.e. dentists) have been the subjects of observational research studies and interventions aimed at better understanding chronic diseases including coronary artery disease but the reason for recruiting them has been because they are easy to follow due to their licensure (hard to be lost to follow-up) and they are trusted to be accurate in their reporting of exposures and outcomes when surveyed. (The studies go on to get medical records if someone reports having had a heart attack or other event but accurate reporting by the subject helps facilitate that record retrieval.) Of course, studies of this kind don't tell us if docs are better or worse off, and by how much, than the rest of the populaiton. We also have to be concerned with "health worker bias"; people who are employed in a profession have better health outcomes, on average, than people who are not employed at all.

There is an entire field of study, epidemiology, that examines these sorts of questions.

Reactions: 1 users