Physicians who work in juvinille detention centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samisab786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know a little bit about physicians working in detention centers? I was wondering if any physicians counsel juvenile delinquents along with their check-ups.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know a little bit about physicians working in detention centers? I was wondering if any physicians counsel juvenile delinquents along with their check-ups.
I doubt that is part of their role.

I volunteered in juvie before and there was no doc there. You will have a nurse doing all that work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked with a doctor this past summer who goes to the detention center once a week to diagnose and treat any illnesses. As far as I know, it wasn't part of his job, and I don't believe he was paid for it. . . Just sort of a volunteer role. . . And he didn't do any "counseling" when we were there. . . just doctoring

Licensed clinical psychologists and licensed clinical social workers and unlicensed counselors (college grads with degrees in special ed, or education or psychology) tend to do that type of work in detention centers. Physicians are too "costly" to be used in that role.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

My uncle who is a general internist worked in a prison for a while. I haven't exactly spoken to him about it, but I was wondering what a physician in general can do in such a setting.

*Especially a psychiatrist, since that seems a little more relevent than any other physician.

This thread talks a bit about the corrections setting (not juvinile), which I am extremely interested in.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582138

As a physician, there isn't really much you can do in a juvinile setting. Nurses take care of the majority of it, and only severe/chronic cases may be referred to a state hospital. I am not 100% sure, but that's what I've heard from my friends who have actually interned there, who are all psychology graduate students, not med students.