Physics 1 & 2 over summer session?? Is that a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poshdoctor

Spicegirls of Healthcare
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on take Physics 1 & Physics 2 over the summer at UCBerkeley. Someone told me that taking pre-med prereqs over the summer is a bad idea........

Should I take them over the summer? Or should I take them during the regular session?

THANKS ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Take them only if you plan on spending a lot of time studying...I took Chem 1 and physics 2 during this last summer and it sucked.

I took Physics I & II over the summer at my university. It worked out well for me grades-wise and gave me time to focus on other classes I cared about during the year.

I'd say go for it. As long as it's at a good school and you do well it won't look bad at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am very sure you can do that; i know people that took 12 units each summer sesh @ uc's (lots of work, but doable)

im taking human genetics and phys 1 this summer. i hope it works out. and im going to be working full time.

I'm planning on take Physics 1 & Physics 2 over the summer at UCBerkeley. Someone told me that taking pre-med prereqs over the summer is a bad idea........

THANKS ;)

People say it's a bad idea because the material comes quickly.

It's definitely doable, but it takes up a lot of time. You will not have a normal summer for sure. And make sure you plan for that. You don't want to hurt your gpa because you thought you could do all these other cool things over the summer.

If you don't have plans, it is really nice to get some classes out of the way quickly and open up more time during the year (I did it with Physics 2 and then some other core stuff).

just to clarify, as i don't think anyone has yet: med schools don't think it's a bad idea if you come out with good grades. there's this persistent rumor that adcoms don't like to see summer school, the same way they don't like to see CLEPs and unaccompanied APs. this is not true, people take chem, orgo and/or physics all the time at my post-bac and it's not a problem.

as others have said, it can be a bad idea if you aren't ready for the pace. for example, it's very easy to have an exam on the same day you have to go to lab. suckage.

Physics is such a beautiful subject that wasting it on a summer sounds terrible to me. However, can it be done? Yes. Just hope you don't short term memory all of it because you'll need it for the MCAT.

I'm going to take orgo 1 & 2 in the summer

We are both going to need luck