Physics 1 Probably a C+/B-, course of action?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NorCalPremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Let me preface this by saying I hate physics. Now that that's out of the way, I did below average on the first 2 midterms (worth 20% each), and with a final worth 50ish% I think realistically I'm going to end up with a C+ or a B-, with a B being a miracle. My overall and sGPA are 3.97. Obviously either a C+ or B- will tank that quite a bit (I believe about .1 for this class alone). I've gotten A's in organic, bio, GE classes, but physics is clearly my weak subject. I don't know much about withdrawing (I don't think i'm seriously considering it) but would just like some input on what I should do about this. I know given that it's only one class it shouldn't impact my chances of getting into allopathic, but I was curious as to how top 10 schools like UCSF will view this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

One C+ or B- won't hurt you, especially since your sGPA is impressive as it is. Since you can't drop or withdraw at this point (I'm guessing; usually at this point in the semester you have to petition to get a W) just put your all into the final and try and get a B or a B-. Even if you sGPA drops down to a 3.8 you will have nothing to worry about.

People get into top ten schools with C's every year. I'd say that GPA is not ultra-important for a top ten school because they know that GPAs vary vastly between schools, majors, etc. If you have a GPA above 3.7 or so, the selective focus shifts to your MCAT scores and ECs. They both have to be absolutely amazing.

That said, a C+ is obviously not going to help you if you want to get into a top ten med school.

If the final is 50% of your grade, there is absolutely no reason to settle for a C+ or a B- at this point because the ball is still on your side of the court. You should put everything you've got into getting a hundred on that final. You should be in the library studying for Physics at least three hours a day, every day. Make sure you go to ever review section and that you go to office hours with well thought out questions about the problem sets. That is the kind of internal drive that you need if you want to get into a top ten med school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're absolutely fine. I had a similar score in physics and it hasn't been a problem.

Thanks for your advice everyone, whenever a similar panic settles in after some poor performances, I tend to get anxious. Got an A on the final, ended up with a B+ in the class (average was really low on the final, I think I got 27% above avg so that also helped) so my GPA is more or less what it was before. To all the premeds reading this who freak out (myself included at times), I had a D and a C on my first 2 midterms. Just kick butt on the final and you'll come out fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users