Physics 10 "Introductory physics"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it work as my second semester of physics?

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
Will it work as my second semester of physics?

Don't know if it's the same for you, but at my school Introductory Physics is algebra-based and General Physics is calc-based, and from what I've heard, algebra-based is fine for pre-med students. I really hope that's the case, because I suck at math.

What was your first semester of physics if Introductory Physics is your second? Shouldn't the introduction come first? ;)

alitheia said:
Don't know if it's the same for you, but at my school Introductory Physics is algebra-based and General Physics is calc-based, and from what I've heard, algebra-based is fine for pre-med students. I really hope that's the case, because I suck at math.

What was your first semester of physics if Introductory Physics is your second? Shouldn't the introduction come first? ;)

I took physics 8a which is also titled intro physics at cal. I m taking physics 10 at JC right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school all the 10 series classes are for non-science majors and don't count for med school. Before I decided on medicine I took Physics 10 and Bio 10 (both ridiculously easy), and neither of these courses could be counted towards my med school pre-reqs. I'd talk to an advisor if I were you.

Sophie said:
At my school all the 10 series classes are for non-science majors and don't count for med school. Before I decided on medicine I took Physics 10 and Bio 10 (both ridiculously easy), and neither of these courses could be counted towards my med school pre-reqs. I'd talk to an advisor if I were you.

Well its physics for science majors, but its probably technically not the class i should probably be taking. There is a lot of math, calculations.....etc. No formal lab, though we do occasional labs.

I guess its meant to be the class that science majors who want to slowly transition into the more difficult physics take.

Its a 5 week session and I ve been going for the first week. They dont offer the physics that I probably should be taking (w/lab) during the session i need to take. Will physics 10 suffice as the second semester of physics?

thanks.

NRAI2001 said:
Well its physics for science majors, but its probably technically not the class i should probably be taking. There is a lot of math, calculations.....etc. No formal lab, though we do occasional labs.

I guess its meant to be the class that science majors who want to slowly transition into the more difficult physics take.

Its a 5 week session and I ve been going for the first week. They dont offer the physics that I probably should be taking (w/lab) during the session i need to take. Will physics 10 suffice as the second semester of physics?

thanks.

I highly doubt it, you should have called the schools to ask before you enrolled. Also why would you not take electronics, optics and magnetism when it is on the MCAT?

Sundarban1 said:
I highly doubt it, you should have called the schools to ask before you enrolled. Also why would you not take electronics, optics and magnetism when it is on the MCAT?

I took the mcat already. Physics on the mcat wasnt too big of a problem.

Over at UCD, all 10 series classes are the intro courses to their respective subjects. We a "Chem 10" and I don't think that actually counts as a pre-req since its intro to Chem (general chem). Where as our 8 series (A, B, and C) does count.

So I don't think it would count, since it as you said is a class to "transition" into real physics. But at least it counts as a science class.

relentless11 said:
Over at UCD, all 10 series classes are the intro courses to their respective subjects. We a "Chem 10" and I don't think that actually counts as a pre-req since its intro to Chem (general chem). Where as our 8 series (A, B, and C) does count.

So I don't think it would count, since it as you said is a class to "transition" into real physics. But at least it counts as a science class.

Dam it!