Physics 2/Chem 2/Orgo 1 Concurrently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matchmeifyoucan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on taking Chemistry 2 (with lab), Physics 2 (with lab), and Organic Chemistry 1 (with lab but may postpone it for a later semester; my school only offers a 2-credit orgo lab, so you only have to take it in one semester to fulfill the traditional 2-semester sequence) in the same semester? Currently, I am taking Chemistry 1, Physics 1, and Bio 1 - all with labs. I have no job or major extracurricular activities (I'm pursuing a 2nd bachelor's and I did a lot in terms of ECs during my first venture into undergrad, which was not so long ago, and did some ECs during my gap years as well).

The schedule in question is about 14 or 16 credits, depending on whether or not I take the lab with the orgo class.

Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did that my jr year, while playing softball. I think you can do it, but ultimately you're going to have to measure you're own capabilities. Don't underestimate the power of GPA in med school admissions!

Reactions: 1 user
^ Thanks for the input. I need those straight A's as I'm trying to enhance my GPA, so putting what may be too much on my plate worries me a little. On the other hand, I definitely know my capabilities and think I can pull it off (if my understanding of what these classes entail is correct); taking these classes during spring is ideal for me for scheduling purposes.

My state school is *generally* not as intense as my undergrad. If it's only an issue of time, then I think my lack of activity will help. I wouldn't try this course combo if I had several things going on and needed a near-perfect to perfect GPA to combat my not-so-perfect undergrad GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't handle that, and I'm a pretty bright guy. Looks like you'd be doing this to me View attachment 196266
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1442588188.302873.jpg

Assuming your pre reqs are weed outs at your school, and not some inflated bs

The only real issue I see with your proposed schedule is that you're taking chem 2 and o-chem 1 concurrently. Though it may be possible to succeed while doing that, chem-2 really cemented a lot of concepts that helped my understanding of o-chem. However, o-chem really is quite different from gen chem, so you may be fine. As far as workload goes, you'll be fine as long as you work hard. I aced o-chem 1, bio 2, physics 2, all taken concurrently with labs, while working over 20 hours per week and shadowing 8 hours per week.

Update. I'm actually doing this schedule right now (no orgo lab, though) on top of 2 other upper level bio courses. Kill me now.

Reactions: 1 users