Physics...algebra or calculus based???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekristek

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend? Algebra based or calculus based physics? I would prefer algebra-based, but I'm not sure which would be best for the MCAT. While we're on the subject, has anyone taken physics during a summer course? How did that go? Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Trig-based physics will suffice for the MCAT. Make sure your class has a lab since many schools require physics w/ lab. Personally, I don't think there's any reason to take the Calculus-based course.

Spacecadet,

That's music to my ears!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just take the one that will give you an A.

You won't need calc-based physics for the MCAT or in med-school! Cut yourself a break!

I took non-calc myself....

I took calc based. Ugh. Got and A first semester and a B the second, which really follows the order of difficultyof the course. Mechanics w/calc is not hard at all. E&M, on the other hand, is very very difficult. If you take the calc based route, be prepared to do lots and lots of integrals. I recommend non-calc based if physics doesn't fascinate you.

Do some schools actually require calc-based phys? Or just a year of phys in general just suffice?

Depends on your major - usually gen phys will suffice.