Physics and Chemistry MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racheldnbr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find it and would like some current (2012) information-
I was wonding how indepth the MCAT goes on the chemistry and physics sections. I'm not very good at all in chemistry or physics (have a very hard time with the math involved). I'm determined to get into medical school, but wondering about the MCAT. My current undergrad GPA is 3.87 and I was just accepted into the National Technical Honor's Socitey. I graduate in December. I'm finishing up the physics and chemistry this summer. I plan to spend 6 months studying nothing but MCAT material before taking it. Do I have to be excellant at chemistry and physics to do well enough on the MCAT to get into med school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT does not really go in-depth into any chemistry or physics subjects but what students find hard is its breadth not depth. It covers a lot of different physics and chemistry subjects but doesn't normally go past what you learn in first/second year of university or even high school. You do not have to be excellent at chemistry or physics to do extremely well on the MCAT but you just have to know what it covers well. Getting a good MCAT review book helps focus what you are studying and 6 months is enough time to learn everything you will need if you study hard.

No, but you need to be pretty efficient with it. Not an expert, but if you ar struggling, you are going to have a problem. For what you need for the mcat, conceptually it is in depth.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to have a good understanding of Physics and Chemistry. It's not a lot of material but if you don't have a solid command you will get eaten up by the MCAT. The MCAT is not about all about knowledge but mostly about how effectively you can utilize that knowledge. At times you will be presented with new data, experiments and passages that sound ridiculously unheard of but you need to utilize the basics to answer them. So I would say that if you don't have a good command on the material then you will struggle to go past a 9-10 on the PS. On my MCAT and it seems like on the most recent exams there have been some heavy calculations so practice!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have gotten a chemistry text book that is easier to understand than the one I used for classes. I plan to use that along with ExamKrackers and work on the MCAT subjects after I graduate (no additional distractions that way :)).

Another question: is my GPA good enough for medical school? And I got a B in both Gen Chem I & Gen Chem II- will that prove to be a big down fall?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have gotten a chemistry text book that is easier to understand than the one I used for classes. I plan to use that along with ExamKrackers and work on the MCAT subjects after I graduate (no additional distractions that way :)).

Another question: is my GPA good enough for medical school? And I got a B in both Gen Chem I & Gen Chem II- will that prove to be a big down fall?

Your GPA is excellent for med school. Anything 3.8+ is considered outstanding. The B's will not hurt you at all. Just focus on the MCAT and you'll go far :thumbup:

To me they are like night and day... messed up one number in your pH titration? Oops, minus 40 points on the test, whereas on MCAT it's more about understanding the concepts and applying them to experiments on passages.