Physics and Chemistry question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is their a lot more math in algebra based physics than in general chemistry? I'm taking gen chem right now and the math isn't hard but I am worried about physics. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Many more formulas in physics than in gen chem. To answer the question; yes.

Yes there is a lot more math in physics. Have you done Calc 1 yet? If you can pass calc 1 then you will be fine in algebra-based physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I haven't taken calc but are the formulas in physics like in chem? Where you basically plug and chug with a calculator?

No it's not plug and chug, it requires more critical thinking.

Chemistry is also critically thinking. I'm talking about the math. Do I need to know anything more complex than basic algebra. I can critically think haha.

Chemistry is also critically thinking. I'm talking about the math. Do I need to know anything more complex than basic algebra. I can critically think haha.
In addition to algebra, you'll need a small amount of trigonometry. Just sine, cosine and tangent.

I thought conceptually physics was less tricky and less to learn. There were more formulas for sure, but electromagnetism and kinematics made sense and mostly plug and chug to me. You can tricked all kinds of ways in gen. chem, but at least in physics you can sort of draw a diagram out of every picture and go from there.

The amount of critical thinking required for chemistry pales in comparison to physics, to be honest.