captain bhangra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status
At my school there is Physics 2a,2b,2c which is general physics without calculus. THen there is Physics 4a,4b,4c,4d which is general physics with calculus (engineers and scientists). CAn i take the Physics 2a,2b,2c, for medical school pre requisites??

thanks

Sangria

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
if your major doesn't require you to take the 4 series, you can take the 2 series. At my school bio majors have to take physics from one series, while physical science and engineering majors have to take it from another series (which is considered to be harder, and bio majors can also take it). Either one is ok for med school

Hoju

I don't want Fop.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Take the calc version if you have the prereqs. It is not required, but it will be more interesting. I think it is easier to describe physics with calc than without it, but I am one of the few that likes physics.

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Take the calc version if you have the prereqs. It is not required, but it will be more interesting. I think it is easier to describe physics with calc than without it, but I am one of the few that likes physics.
Yeah, I would also recommend taking it with calculus. I don't even know how they explain some of the stuff, especially in physics 2, without using at least the very basics of calculus. Everything will make a lot more sense if actually see the math behind it.

OldBlue

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2006
Status
like HumidBeing said... you absolutely DO NOT NEED to take calc-based physics in order to get into medical school. the only exception to that is the Harvard HST MD program where you have to take calc-based physics plus i think math up through differential equations.

take whichever physics set that will give you personally more understanding/success or that will jive with your schedule better. MCAT physics doesn't use calc.