Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Physics... Community College... meh..

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Snowbelle, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Snowbelle

Pre-Medical
    So, I don't think my case all that unique, but I don't think I'm necessarily the "average" pre-med student either. I graduated from high school with my AA degree from the local community college at the same time because I did the dual enrollment program. I graduated 3rd in my class with a very high GPA. I took Bio 1, and Gen Chem 1, at the community college during my senior year (got As in both) then went to UCF for a semester, got a B in bio 2 and an A in gen chem 2. I then transferred to UF and so far, I've taken Organic 1: B, Physics 1: C, physics 1 lab: A, Organic 2: A, Organic lab: B+, Physics 2: C+, and Physics 2 lab: A, and some electives. Now I'm a good student, and always have been, but I'm certainly not a 4.0 student. I've improved both my physics grades and organic grades as the semesters have progressed, but I'm concerned about that C and C+... are those going to really hurt my chances, or are there ways I can make up those (what I hope to be) minor grade blemishes... Physics really kicked my butt, however, I'm not going to let that keep me from going on and trying really hard to do super well in the rest of my classes and the MCAT.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much!

2. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you feel you really understood all the concepts in Physics well, but just didn't test well, you might do fine on the physical sciences portion of the MCAT. But if you feel that you really didn't "get" the material, you might consider repeating the classes, getting As the second time, to improve your chances of a better MCAT score. Alternatively, you could try to learn the material yourself. There is a free sample MCAT available on-line that you could try, if you're not sure where your knowledge base falls, link at: https://services.aamc.org/Publicatio...179&prv_id=214

3. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well first off...GO GATORS!! I'm at UF right now too.

I can vouch for you in saying that physics at UF is ridiculous. I worked my butt off only to get a B+ in both. I know many people that knew their stuff but did terrible on the tests so they ended up with poor grades. I wouldn't worry about it if those are your worst grades.

4. Snowbelle

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for your quick replies! I really did feel like I knew my stuff, and just because I knew the exams were really tough, I would study for hours just doing practice problems and retaking old notes and what not to try and prepare. The exams were just ridiculous, not to mention they were multiple choice so if you're a good guesser, that you're set! If not... well, not so much.

I'm done with all of the math based classes now though, so all I have left are my core microbiology major classes and what not. I also just signed up for a research position dealing with cancer proteins. So things seem to be looking up, but I just really hope those grades don't keep me from even being considered by the admissions committee.