Physics emergency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedoraenglish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two words no one likes, but I'm in need of help.

I've written the MCAT twice. The second time I thought I did much better. The first time I felt like I guessed on all the physics questions and still got an 8. This time I had a bunch of tutoring. I had someone teach me all the theory, and I did roughly 75% of the princeton science workbook. I did practice mcats and scored generally 29-33. I thought I was ready. But the second time I wrote the MCAT - I did better in every section except my physics score went down to a 6 (I just got my score back). I have NO idea how this happened because I thought I was doing fine as I was writing. There were definitely questions I couldn't answer.. but it all feels like a blur so I can't remember what areas I struggled with.

I've been studying since I wrote the MCAT, just to keep the stuff fresh in my mind. I have scheduled a re-write for august 9th...

And I'm starting to panic because I'm worried that if I just do what I did before for physics, I won't truly be ready. I find myself reading the chapters, attempting all the questions, and putting stars next to the ones I can't do (I'm waiting to go over them with my tutor)...

I'm just really concerned this isn't enough. It almost seems like nothing I'm doing is working. Are there any idiot-proof methods of improving my physics score that I haven't considered? I realized that I didn't have my formula sheet memorized as well as I thought I did, so since the MCAT I've been reviewing it every single day.

TL;DR - I need a higher physics score. I've been putting in the work, but I put in the work last time and did horribly on physics. I've never gotten a 6 before. Please suggest any methods of learning and understanding this material that have worked for you. I'm truly willing to work hard.

P.S Being harsh and honest is fine. I'm only asking because I have lost all faith in myself and my ability to learn physics.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty strong in the physical science area. I also used TPR stuff and got an 11 on PS, I was 83% percentile, not the best but not poor either. I am retaking 9/11 due to verbal.

Ok the way I go about Physics is to know all concepts in and out, because the number of calculations on my test were less 3 for physics, and for those I try to use dimensional analysis to weed out answers with wrong units. Concepts is the bulk of the test and its likely going to be asked in a mixed form as in they are going to give you a passage with two or even three topics intertwined. For instance, there could be a passage mixes topics about Kinematics, momentum and work and energy and give you a scenario about a rocket ask you questions like what is the momentum if the rocket explodes mid air, and they might give you g and you have to calculate the thrust force. You basically have to expect the mixing of topics and be able to answer that questions in that setting. This will require you to concepts in and out. and make sure you do all the advanced passages in the science workbook and the online TPR passages as they are a lot tougher than the science workbook stuff and maybe a notch harder, if you can solve those, than I think you will be fine.

Hey fedoraenglish,

I was in a similar situation to you, took the test this past spring and got a 7 on the PS, but thought I was doing fine. Definitely shocked at the result.:bang:

I'm taking the test again in 3 weeks, and have scored between 10-12 on the PS sections of my practice tests and am hoping this will hold true for the real deal.

I know I'm not scoring 13's or 14's, BUT I can offer the advice that helped me.

Go to the khan academy, it's a website with free videos that explain a huge variety of subjects. Watching their physics videos in the past 3 weeks, along with doing lots of PS practice problems, is what I believe is responsible for the score jump. The guy who does the physics videos, Sal, is a great teacher, and explains things really well.

Best of luck!! :luck: