Physics Graduate Gone Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FormerPhysicist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick background: I bounced between premed and physics the first couple years of undergrad before going full UG physics as an upperclassman. I do have three old MCAT scores from that time period, but that was 3-4 years ago (I'll get to that though). I was pretty good at the biology I took (mostly As) but I was very...mediocre at physics (mostly B's with a couple C's balanced by A's) which led to a cGPA/sGPA of 3.3 and 3.3. That was fine when I thought I was going into optometry, but over the past couple of years I've been so much more attracted to the work that ophthalmologists do. So, I've turned back and done the remaining med school pre-reqs. I'm aware of how bad that GPA makes my odds for MD schools look.

So, a short pro/con list:

Pros:

I have 3000+ hours of direct patient care clinical experience from my current job (OD clinic specializing in eye pathology).

3 years spent in student government leadership positions, as well as leadership positions in various student body organizations.

Extensive shadowing (150-200 hours) of nearly every medical specialty in the immediate area.

Regular community service hours (~2-3 hours/wk) over the past 4+ years.

Physics Honors Society

2 Semesters of research (Unpublished, unfortunately. It went horribly.)

I have done medical mission work, and started volunteering in the local hospital this year.

I do have a phlebotomy certification to my name, but I'm actually considering removing that EC because I never got a chance to do anything with it.

I'm scheduled to take the MCAT this coming Saturday. I used the AAMC/TBR cbt's for the first time on this go-around, never scored below a 35 on any of them. I'm really hoping that's going to translate in a mid-30s MCAT come test day.

One last thing I do have going for me: my state is not exactly uber-competitive when it comes to the state MD schools. Between the two of them, about 1/4 of the in-state applicants are admitted. Both have an average MCAT slightly below 30.

Cons

The GPA, obviously. Ugh, that GPA. It might be too far gone to do much about it other than do an SMP and hope for the best.

I don't have a whole lot of hospital volunteering to list just yet.

I already have 3 MCAT scores (although, they might fall off next cycle at some schools) of 26, 25, and 28, in that order. I really do feel like I've matured a lot in the years since I took them, though. I'll find out soon enough, I guess.

All of that just to ask one question: If everything does fall in the way I think it will (as in, GPA doesn't move as I finish up pre-reqs this semester and my MCAT actually is where I think it will be), will I lose anything by going ahead and applying? I'm not looking for a Top 50 acceptance, I just want to go to one of my state MD schools.

One last thought: because I've worked in an eye clinic the past few years, I'm 99% sure I'd like to go into ophthalmology. That's the only reason I'm biased towards entering one of the MD state schools. Everything I've read on this site seems to indicate that DOs have a rough time getting into that specialty, but if I'm wrong on that I wouldn't mind a DO school at all.

Members don't see this ad.

ALL medical graduates have a hard time getting into Ophthalmology. That and plastics, and maybe Derm are among the hardest residencies to get. However, one of our grads went into an ophthalmology residency this year, so it's doable.

I have a feeling that the multiple MCAT scores might hurt you. Different schools view them in different ways. As a rule of thumb, MD programs like the 10/10/10 = 30 or better. Here, we avg the scores, but other DO schools take the best scores in each category.

Best bet is to ace your remaining science courses. If you can get your GPAs up to about 3.5, then I'd say you're good for any low-tier MD program and any DO program.

If you go an an application cycle and get shut out, then try the SMP, but only one that's already at a medical school.

One last thing I do have going for me: my state is not exactly uber-competitive when it comes to the state MD schools. Between the two of them, about 1/4 of the in-state applicants are admitted. Both have an average MCAT slightly below 30.

Cons

The GPA, obviously. Ugh, that GPA. It might be too far gone to do much about it other than do an SMP and hope for the best.

I don't have a whole lot of hospital volunteering to list just yet.

I already have 3 MCAT scores (although, they might fall off next cycle at some schools) of 26, 25, and 28, in that order. I really do feel like I've matured a lot in the years since I took them, though. I'll find out soon enough, I guess.

All of that just to ask one question: If everything does fall in the way I think it will (as in, GPA doesn't move as I finish up pre-reqs this semester and my MCAT actually is where I think it will be), will I lose anything by going ahead and applying? I'm not looking for a Top 50 acceptance, I just want to go to one of my state MD schools.

One last thought: because I've worked in an eye clinic the past few years, I'm 99% sure I'd like to go into ophthalmology. That's the only reason I'm biased towards entering one of the MD state schools. Everything I've read on this site seems to indicate that DOs have a rough time getting into that specialty, but if I'm wrong on that I wouldn't mind a DO school at all.

MCAT scores don't "fall off" though they expire at different times depending on the school. All of your scores will be available to the screeners. Their interpretation varies. Many will expect significant improvement just because it's a re-take.

Ophthalmology is among the more competitive specialties with average Step 1 scores for successful applicants of 238 (about the 80 percentile) in 2012. Unsuccessful applicants had an average Step 1 score of 220 (close to the overall mean).

MCAT scores don't "fall off" though they expire at different times depending on the school. All of your scores will be available to the screeners. Their interpretation varies. Many will expect significant improvement just because it's a re-take.

I was afraid of that. Still, I'm optimistic about the upcoming MCAT. I'll do what I can to ace it and the remaining classes and hope for the best. If an SMP is what it takes, then I'll do an SMP. Thanks to both of you for the advice.