Physics I at Yale Over the Summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vandyfootball

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pretty new to this forum. I am currently a freshman at Vanderbilt, and I plan on taking the MCAT after my sophomore year and before my junior year. Freshman year I took Bio/Chem at Vandy and it WAS TOUGH. I did fine in my classes, but I was forced to study like 5 hours EVERYDAY outside of class in order to get As. In order to take the MCAT after my sophomore year, I need to take Orgo and physics next year.

I was planning on taking Physics I at Yale over the summer in 5 weeks.
Will taking Physics I at Yale be extremely difficult because 1) Its Yale 2)Its in a 5 week accelerated program. I am ready to study 5 hours a day if I have to outside of class for 5 weeks, because I have gotten so used to doing that at Vanderbilt. Since I am concerned about my grade, should I just take Physics I at some random state school because it will be easier?

Members don't see this ad.

Why Yale? Do you think it will be any easier? Probably not. Just seems more expensive.

I guess either take it at Vandy or some state school - wherever you'll be for the summer.

It's a good idea to finish your prereqs by sophomore year and take the MCAT after - way to think ahead. :thumbup:

it'll only count if you take it at Harvard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you live right next door to Yale or something? Usually people take classes at CC during the summer.... save THOUSANDS of dollars and you can get way more classes out of the way...

I don't want to stay on Vandy's Campus over the summer. The campus just gets old after a while so it will be boring.

Yale because my pre-med advisor said that if I want summer credits to transfer to Vandy, I should take them at an academic institition that was of "better or equal" to Vandy. My pre-med advisor said that the state schools in my area are lower in academic quality than Vandy, so my it wouldn't be a good idea to take them there.

It's a good idea to finish your prereqs by sophomore year and take the MCAT after - way to think ahead. :thumbup:
^^^ When is a good idea to start prepping for the MCATs? Would 3 months of intense preparation be enough, or should I do a little studying before I start my intense 3 month prepartion for the MCAT ( I plan on working 5-6 hours a day for those 3 months. Any help would be appreciated.

I am grateful that my family can pay in full cost for the summer courses (my parents said $$$ is not an issue).

My primary concern is if I will be able to get a good grade in the class.

your pre-med advisor is a pretentious jackass. if you want to be sure what will and what will not transfer talk to the registrar.

^^^^ Thats probably a good idea, I will do that.

Do you guys know if Texas A&M Galveston, is considered okay for me to take a prereq course at. I know Texas A&M main campus (Texas A&M at College Station) is a great school, but I am not so sure about its satellite school (Texas A&M at Galveston)

it doesn't matter where you take them. some schools might hold a grudge against you if you take all of them at a CC (but its not likely), other than that take them wherever you want.

I am pretty new to this forum. I am currently a freshman at Vanderbilt, and I plan on taking the MCAT after my sophomore year and before my junior year. Freshman year I took Bio/Chem at Vandy and it WAS TOUGH. I did fine in my classes, but I was forced to study like 5 hours EVERYDAY outside of class in order to get As. In order to take the MCAT after my sophomore year, I need to take Orgo and physics next year.

Will taking Physics I at Yale be extremely difficult because 1) Its Yale 2)Its in a 5 week accelerated program. I am ready to study 5 hours a day if I have to outside of class for 5 weeks, because I have gotten so used to doing that at Vanderbilt. Since I am concerned about my grade, should I just take Physics I at some random state school because it will be easier?

Take it at your home institution. Why bother with Yale or other state schools? I seriously doubt Physics I at Yale will be any different from other schools. It will be tough not because it's Yale but because it's condensed into 5 weeks. That's all there is to it. As long as it's not at a 2-year community college, you should be fine.

^^^^ Will it hurt me on the physics part of the MCATs, if I take them at a "less intensive" school?

^^^^ Will it hurt me on the physics part of the MCATs, if I take them at a "less intensive" school?

Not at all. I don't know if you've started studying or taken a practice MCAT before, but most questions on the physical part test you on basic concepts without any calculus involved. Also, Vanderbuilt is definitely not "less intensive" than Yale although it might seem that way in terms of so-called reputation, so have some pride in you alma mater;). In fact, I've seen quite a few Yale pre-meds doing so so in classes and not making it into Top 25 medical schools. As long as you understand the materials well and study hard, you shouldn't have any trouble getting 13+ on the physical section. Good luck!

^^^^ Hahaha, I wasn't saying Vanderbilt was "less intensive than Yale", (but it is) but rather that my pre-med advisor said that Texas A&M at Galveston (a satellite school of Texas A&M main campus) was "less intensive" than Vanderbilt.

Is money an issue for you?

You will need to live somewhere while you take these classes away, so therefore it would probably be better to take it at Vandy.

I was about to ask you if you were joking with this thread, but then I realized that you were only a freshman...Look kid NO ADCOM cares where the heck you take a summer course. Do you really think that out of the 5000 applications they get they are going to take out your application and be like hmmm this kid took Physics at Yale WOW! lets accept him or her right away....NO....they don't care. General rule science GPA counts bigtime and even more so MCAT scores: focus on those and not where and what you take your a class. Also, if you really want to stand out, taking classes during the summer won't make you stand out, do something meaninful instead.

While summer classes get a bad reputation for being too easy, many schools make them harder than necessary to "prove" to visiting students that their classes are THAT hard. I wouldn't recommend it. If you're determined to take the MCAT the summer before your junior year, I'd take a Kaplan/PR/whatever MCAT class and make it your top priority. I've known people who took the MCAT before taking ANY college physics who did really well. The MCAT is tough, but formulaic. If you fully comprehend everything that will be covered, you don't necessarily need the pre-req class before taking it. If you take it and get less than your desired score, you can always re-take it during the spring semester of your junior year.

Just a thought.

I know people who took this course. Including non-yalies. it is not too hard i hear. idk if it is a significant resume booster, but i think a summer in the have is a good experience.