Physics II or Organic Chemistry II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tresses507

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding the MCAT exam, which subject is tested more heavily: Physics or Organic Chemistry?....
Also, If you had the option of only taking Org Chem II or Physics II prior to taking the MCAT (and have already taken all other required pre-med coursework), which course is more appropriate to take to better prepare for the MCAT exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Physics is by far more heavily tested (over 50% of PS, whereas only 20% of BS is orgo). I've been told that the content of physics 2 is particularly stressed like optics, magnetism, ect.

Regarding the MCAT exam, which subject is tested more heavily: Physics or Organic Chemistry?....
Also, If you had the option of only taking Org Chem II or Physics II prior to taking the MCAT (and have already taken all other required pre-med coursework), which course is more appropriate to take to better prepare for the MCAT exam?

Physics II by far...

If you're studying for three months close to fulltime, do you think you'd be able to teach yourself Physics II material, assuming that you're a strong student, taking a prep course, and armed with several kinds of physics materials?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're studying for three months close to fulltime, do you think you'd be able to teach yourself Physics II material, assuming that you're a strong student, taking a prep course, and armed with several kinds of physics materials?

I'm not sure if you're asking for yourself or actually asking the OP but yes, this should be totally feasible.

I'm not sure if you're asking for yourself or actually asking the OP but yes, this should be totally feasible.

Oh wow, my wording was really confusing. Sorry!! But I was asking for both! Definitely relevant to me, but also to OP if he/she isn't sure what class to take but has time to self-teach. I was not directly inquiring to see if he/she had the time, however.

Thanks for the help -- I was hoping to hear what you had to say, as your MDApps looks like you've done most of your prepping pre-Physics II. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you, as I will likely be in the same boat!

Last edited:
Oh wow, my wording was really confusing. Sorry!! But I was asking for both! Definitely relevant to me, but also to OP if he/she isn't sure what class to take but has time to self-teach. I was not directly inquiring to see if he/she had the time, however.

Thanks for the help -- I was hoping to hear what you had to say, as your MDApps looks like you've done most of your prepping pre-Physics II. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you, as I will likely be in the same boat!

Ah not exactly, I won't actually start content review of Physics II material until the Spring semester starts, so I'll be going through the material much faster than the course while still being in the course. I'll end up taking the MCAT right in the middle of taking Physics II. But like you said, I don't think it'll be a problem to self-teach Physics II from TBR especially while actually taking it (even if there's only some material overlap during my content review).