1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Physics in Summer- Need Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Chrissy, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Chrissy

Chrissy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi All,
    Just wanted to get some opinions on what physics would be like over a summer. I'm actually a post-bacc student and I HAVE TO finish physics this summer. The reason I'm a little hesitant is I've actually enrolled before and dropped the class early in the semester ....although I was also taking Orgo and working full-time. For better or worse I would just like to get a general consensus on summer courses. btw i will not be working when doing this! Thanks!!

2. OB1

OB1 For All Seasons
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Only you can best judge what your capabilities are. If you took the course before and didn't quite succeed for whatever reason, then only you can pinpoint what the exact reasons were. Obviously, the answer you're looking for as to whether or not a year's worth of Physics during the summer would be more rigorous than usual--I think you already know the answer to that.

3. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I always liked summer courses better than regular term courses.

4. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Honestly, I think algebra-based (i.e. "regular") Physics is one of the easiest classes I've taken. It's really not that bad, and if I had to pick a science class to take over the summer, Physics would be it. I do have a good professor, however, and he really prepares us well for his tests. If you had an awful professor I can see how it would be extremely difficult.

Really, only you can answer this question for yourself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are you taking the algebra/trig-based physics or real physics (i.e., calc-based)?

6. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    I took it last semester along with chem 2 and it was pure hell but mostly because I had the professor from hell. if I had a diferent prof it would ahve been fine. But 10 hrs of classes is horrible. Best of luck to you; you'll be fine. I'm glad it's over but i learned alot and persevered. Now it's on to orgo 1 and 2 this summer.:eek:

7. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

I took Physics 1 over the summer. (I'm a post-bacc, too.)

You have to stay on top of it because it moves FAST. We also had lab twice a week. I never felt overwhelmed but I was consumed by the course. Just attending that much class, and lab, and doing the reading, and the assigned homework, and the pre-lab write-up, and the post-lab write-up buried me. When MCAT prep came around I found I was strongest in physics. Go figure. The class was small and I really got to know the professor.

My experience was the class atmosphere was laid back, but there was nothing watered down about the material or the expectations. I had a lot of fun, but it was a lot of work.

8. AZMed

AZMed New Member

Pre-Medical
    I too was post-bac when I took physics over the summer (both semesters). It went fine and as long as realize that you will cover the material much faster than normal you should not have a problem.

9. Bito42

Bito42 Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm in med school and the best advice I can give you is to keep plugging along!! When I look back, it's the times that I hesitated that got me in a rut. Once I knew I was med school bound, I didn't hesitate to enroll. Don't consider dropping out this time-- power through it hard and use all the extra help (office hours, study groups) etc that you can get. summer will be a great time to focus on a course that was previously challenging for you (or that wasn't so challenging but you're psyched out about since you dropped it once). By the way, i'm just finishing MSII and I love it. I know i'm only halfway there, but i wouldn't go back and change it for the world.

10. OP
    OP
    Chrissy

Chrissy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for all the advice. I'm completely fine with being emersed in a class it's like that now albeit not at the summer pace....but the study hrs and schedule would be virtually the same for me; I study all the time anyway. Another confidence factor is this is my last pre-req and i've done well in everything else so I see this as my very last (well besides that little test called the MCAT) task in getting into med school. Thanks again!