Physics Lab Pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbusa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a sophomore Business major and I am on the medicine track. In Fall 2012 I took Physics 201 (1200) without the lab. It should be said here that the lecture and the lab are scheduled separately and you get two grades.

In Spring 2013 I transferred to a different university. Here the lab and the class are scheduled together. As per my understanding you get one grade for the lab and the class. Currently I am taking Physics 202 (1201).

Here is my problem, since I did not take the lab in Fall 2012 and I cannot take just the lab at my new school, what should I do?

One option was to retake Physics 201 (1200) completely over the summer maybe or even during the year. I really don't like this option because I am a bit behind when it comes to classes. And I would probably be taking 2nd semester Biology this summer.

The other option is to take just the lab at my previous University, the problem here is that my old school was pretty expensive (I got scholarships to go there), and I know it's going to be pretty expensive. And It would be even more expensive to take Bio and Physics at the same time. I could try to look for a school that offers just the lab somewhere close by.

What should I do? Thanks for reading though.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried to talk to the physics department about this issue, they might let you just take the lab...
If you can't take it at your previous school I would take somewhere else. The key here is to maintain academic excellence. :luck:

I did talk to one person in the non-physics major office and he said no. Though he seemed to be having an off day. I will go talk to another person about the issue.

I did some research and I read that it depends on the school as well too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to your adviser and see if you can do it at a local CC. Is the physics I lab a pre-req for the physics II lab at your current school?

And honestly, you only a sophomore, so you have time to make the lab up (at a CC) before application time. Try this summer or next.

The lab and lecture for sciences at my school are separate also, but f you want to apply the class towards a science degree, you have to do both portions (not at the same time though. The lec is a pre/co-req for the lab).