Physics & MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raom_dtpi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the Kaplan course. I heard that the PS on the April MCAT was pretty tough. Does Kaplan prepare us well enough to handle MCAT physics with confidence. I saw that EK has pretty tough exams and more detailed material to help think outside the box and apply concepts more widely.

From your experience, do you think Kaplan prepared you well enough for the MCAT. At this point, since I started Kaplan, I'd prefer to stick with the Kaplan material unless I hear otherwise. Thanks so much!

Scout

Members don't see this ad.

Well Raom,

I, Myself, Believe That Kaplan Physics Is Way Harder Than The Real Physics. What You Need To Concentrate On For The Real Mcat Physics Is Timing. I Finished My Practice Physics Tests With 17 Mins To Spare Sometimes Or Right On Time. But On The Real Exam With The Epinephrine Flowing Through My Veins & Everything, I Didn't Finish 8 Questions. So Practice, Practice, Practice Until You Have At Least 18 Or More Minutes To Spare With High Accuracy Of A 10 Or Higher & Then You Will Know You Are Ready. When My Scores Come Out On Tuesday & I Do Very Well On That Section, Then I Will Tell You Exactly What To Do For That Section. However, Until Then I Do Not Want To Misadvise As I Have Often Been In The Past By People Who Advise Prematurely.

Take Care & God Bless!

trahuidio said:
Well Raom,

I, Myself, Believe That Kaplan Physics Is Way Harder Than The Real Physics. What You Need To Concentrate On For The Real Mcat Physics Is Timing. I Finished My Practice Physics Tests With 17 Mins To Spare Sometimes Or Right On Time. But On The Real Exam With The Epinephrine Flowing Through My Veins & Everything, I Didn't Finish 8 Questions. So Practice, Practice, Practice Until You Have At Least 18 Or More Minutes To Spare With High Accuracy Of A 10 Or Higher & Then You Will Know You Are Ready. When My Scores Come Out On Tuesday & I Do Very Well On That Section, Then I Will Tell You Exactly What To Do For That Section. However, Until Then I Do Not Want To Misadvise As I Have Often Been In The Past By People Who Advise Prematurely.

Take Care & God Bless!

This is like the title of a Fiona Apple CD.

I took Kaplan for the April MCAT, and I think that their questions don't resemble the actual MCAT questions too closely. In terms of content, they're fine (if you learn in their style) but I would definitely reccomend using other sources. I liked EK (I had their 1001 Physics questions and VR stuff) much better, personally. Since all the prep exams out there (with the exception of the AAMCAS ones) will be different from the real one in terms of style, I would try to take at least two different types - more if you have the time and resources. I personally think Kaplan focuses way too closely on the details and has very quantitative tests, whereas the real MCAT was more qualitative and focused on the concepts, not the equations. Just my opinion . . .