Physics minor and difficulty of undergrad majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toffey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a junior biochemistry major and thinking about adding a minor in physics my senior year. I only need a couple more classes for it, since I've already taken some engineering-level physics courses. I enjoy the subject matter, I've gotten A's in all the classes so far.

Is a physics minor a good idea (provided I can ace it )? In general, do more technical majors (biochemistry, chemistry, physics) get more brownie points when applying to med schools? (e.g. would my 3.8 GPA look better than a biology/psychology/health major 3.8 GPA)
I'm also doing physics research,for whatever that's worth

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah it will probably look better but with a 3.8 in a difficult major like biochem you've already proved yourself, what more do you have to gain from doing a physics minor? I'd invest my time elsewhere to be honest

Members don't see this ad :)
^This. The major/minor doesn't matter, your GPA does. If you only have a few more classes for it and genuinely like it, you can do it, but I wouldn't expect extra points in the eyes of Adcoms.

ADCOMs have said that if you do well in a hard major, you will be rewarded but not to some huge degree. If you enjoy the physics classes, add them!

No one cares about majors or minors. A physics minor will probably hurt your GPA, unless you're a whiz for this stuff then more power to you.

Agree with this. Adcoms don't spend much time auditing who took a harder curriculum to dole out brownie points. At the end of the day the guy who took only easy classes plus the prereqs and got straight As will get into med school before the guy who double majored or minored in hard stuff and his GPA took a hit.

Reactions: 1 user
Hm..thank you for the replies.
I have some free space in my schedule next year, so I'm trying to find something worthwhile to fill it with. Right now it's a toss-up between physics minor, just taking more bio classes for the heck of it, or going down to 13-14 units and taking on some additional EC's

Hm..thank you for the replies.
I have some free space in my schedule next year, so I'm trying to find something worthwhile to fill it with. Right now it's a toss-up between physics minor, just taking more bio classes for the heck of it, or going down to 13-14 units and taking on some additional EC's
I'd use your time for EC, earn some money or experience....Do research - try to get a publication?