Physics or organic chem over the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to take Physics I & II over the summer or Orgo I & II to stay on track, so just in general which do yo guys think is worse to take over the summer. In summer I'll have to take physics labs so it's 5 credits in 5 weeks and another 5 for the second summer session. Organic chem lab is 2 credits so I can take that whenever.
For reference I got an A in calc and I'm doing well in chemistry. Basically I can memorize and do math extremely well, but suck at applying concepts (which is needed for both lol). Also I heard orgo in the summer isn't sufficient for the MCATs but I don't know if that's just an exaggeration. Also pace wise: is it easier to learn physics concepts in a 2 month span or orgo concepts in the time.

But yea which would you guys prefer over the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say physics. You'll apply the least of that in upper level bios. As long as you get the general idea of concepts, you won't miss anything.

Organic is something you want to be able to spend a lot of time on. I would not recommend trying to squeeze orgo in over a summer. Two reasons: 1) it is nothing like gen chem. You could be decent at gen chem, As and Bs, but you'll have no idea how you'll do at orgo until you start learning it. 2) orgo is a huge portion of the MCAT, including both the chem and bio chem sections. You want to really understand ochem as much as possible.

Also, physics is just math 2.0 and ochem is almost all conceptual, hardly any math. It sounds like you're more of a math person.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I second physics. I think physics is basic enough that condensing the material into the shorter summer sessions is doable whereas with orgo, it'll be hard to come back if you get behind even one or two days in the condensed summer semester.

Voting organic. That class is much easier when you're free to eat/breath/live it day in and day out.

Organic might be more challenging to do so quickly but it's a lot less to be worried about on season.

Organic so you can focus on it individually from other classes, as this is probably the best way to make an A in them both. You run the risk of having a professor like mine who had strictly synthesis exams and that could be tough for 5 weeks, but if it is just straight reactions you should be good. Physics I and II are not that bad or work intensive. Homework can be chegged, usually no quizzes, and exams come from homework/lecture/textbook problems so easier to study for.