Dec 18, 2009
Casper, WY
Status
Medical Student
I apologize if this has been answered already but I plan to do all 3 classes at once as a post bac student, having no outside obligations besides these classes and labs.

Is this a bad idea, or is it possible to do well taking all 3 at once? Has anyone else done this?

I figure that since I literally have all day every day except when in lab or in class to study, I should be alright. Advise away!

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Are you planning on working? Will you have significant time commitments outside of class?

Jun 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I plan on doing this in the fall. I know of people that are taking harder course loads and don't seem to think it's too bad. You do have to take into consideration the amount of time dedicated to work, volunteer, research, etc. All in all, I am not too worried about it. Maybe you could read some of the books over summer to prep?

Dec 18, 2009
Casper, WY
Status
Medical Student
No volunteering or work. No extra-curriculars. I already have thousands of volunteering hours.

And I am taking gen chem over the summer so no reading besides that probably.

BurghStudent

lurker
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Last fall I had a similar sched, Human Physio, Orgo I and Lab and Physics I.

This semester it is Genetics, Orgo 2 and lab, Physics II and lab.

You have to know how to manage your time, there's no way around it. Sometimes, I know I can learn some material solid if I just had the time, but I have to work with what I have. You can have more, more time that is, if you know how to stay on schedule.

Good luck

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
It is do-able. A lot of the expedited formal post-bac programs have their students taking these three courses simultaneously within one year.

You mentioned "I literally have all day every day except when in lab or in class to study," but girlfriends, MCAT prep time will count as distractions.

gymtanlaundry

Removed
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
that won't be bad at all, esp if you have no outside obligations.

RevDoc

Class of 2014
Oct 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Very do-able. I did that schedule plus Gen Chem and worked 40 hours/week. Just know that its going to suck your personal life away!

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
Yeah, not bad with no outside obligations. I did it (trade bio for exercise physiology w/lab) with full course load, while working full time, studying for MCAT, married, and doing my research....wouldn't recommend that though....ever.

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
You should be totally good with no outside commitments, though it will be harder than you probably expect. You should be able to get straight A's, but it won't be easy. I did the same courseload w/ two preschool kids, volunteering and MCAT prep. Push your MCAT to the end of June, that way you will have 4-5 weeks full-time MCAT prep after finals. You won't have time for much official MCAT prep during the school year, although you should just think of really nailing down all the material as MCAT prep/content review. Sit in front and spend a lot of time in office hrs since you will need a couple solid LORs from science profs. Also, memorize your physics formulas whether you are required to or not. You'll need them for the MCAT and it will help you do better on your physics exams. I wished I had done this. And get Ochem as a Second Language books before the semester starts.

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I apologize if this has been answered already but I plan to do all 3 classes at once as a post bac student, having no outside obligations besides these classes and labs.

Is this a bad idea, or is it possible to do well taking all 3 at once? Has anyone else done this?

I figure that since I literally have all day every day except when in lab or in class to study, I should be alright. Advise away!
Because of the reasons in bold, I think you should be fine. Good luck! :luck:

plasmidgreen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm taking ochem ii, phys e&m, and pchem i this semester. Three science classes at once will result in 0 social life, but getting all of this out of the way will feel really good. It'll be a ton of work though, be careful!

Futureblackdoc

804doc
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2009
Richmond,Va
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm taking organic 2 w/ lab, cell bio,and general physics 2. I have a A in everything, but organic which I most likely will get a B in. It is very possible, but for me organic requires the most studying and way next to that would be cell bio.

Practitioner

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
Jul 8, 2009
Delocalized
Status
Pre-Medical

I did this too with neuroscience instead of bio, intro to psych, medical ethics, and worked 12/week. I did okay (A-'s and B in neuro.) So you should be plenty fine if you organize your time well.

The biggest challenge for me was "shifting gears" between the classes, sometimes everything just blended in together and I'd have to sit back and sort my thoughts and the class material.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
Push your MCAT to the end of June, that way you will have 4-5 weeks full-time MCAT prep after finals.
Isn't this a little late for applications? I would at least take it in May if not earlier (remember there is a 30 day turn around for scores). Of course its all contingent on being able to do well, but getting those apps in early is important. Although I'm coming from Texas, so I'm a little rusty on AMCAS stuff.

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Isn't this a little late for applications? I would at least take it in May if not earlier (remember there is a 30 day turn around for scores). Of course its all contingent on being able to do well, but getting those apps in early is important. Although I'm coming from Texas, so I'm a little rusty on AMCAS stuff.
AMCAS apps aren't sent to schools until June 23 at the earliest. A June 17 test gets your scores early-mid July. If you submit your transcripts in May, app June 1, scores drop in July, turn in your 2ndaries same or next day, you are easily w/in the earliest applicant pool. Either way, as a postbacc doing all the prereqs in one yr, it is suicide to try to take MCAT in MAY, same time as finals. I saw other postbaccs do this and they regretted it. It is worth being a couple weeks "behind" to have that month of full-time prep.

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Right now i'm in physics, calculus 2, gen chem.
Hating the calculus, physics not so terrible, gen chem is easiest.

Dec 18, 2009
Casper, WY
Status
Medical Student
I'm taking ochem ii, phys e&m, and pchem i this semester. Three science classes at once will result in 0 social life, but getting all of this out of the way will feel really good. It'll be a ton of work though, be careful!

This post made me laugh...0 social life but you found time to post on here haha

Thank you everyone for all the replies! Gives me hope!

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Mizzou Med
Status
I did an all science post-bacc on my way to medical school. I had semesters just like what you are describing.

If you pull it off, it looks great. The adcom can see that you have what it takes to manage your time and succeed with a demanding school schedule (qualities you'll need in medical school). The risks are high, though. You can't afford to screw up an all science semester -- that's a double whammy: cGPA and BCMP.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
This fall I'm taking Genetics (want to), Physics I and Organic I with their respective labs. Twelve hours. I'll probably work part-time (hopefully) since I'll be quitting my full-time job and moving to do this crap. I hope it's not too hard because I sure don't want it to be. If all goes well I'll do phys II ochem II and cell biology in the spring and be done with it unless I do a summer 2011 math, and I likely will. sigh

jboz

Removed
Mar 21, 2010
Status
OP, I'm doing Physics, Orgo, Bio, and calculus Next semester.

I say we all post back in this thread with updates on your progress/failures :)

This thread has been HI-JACKED and is now a support group for Phy/Bio/OChem takers!!

plasmidgreen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
This post made me laugh...0 social life but you found time to post on here haha

Thank you everyone for all the replies! Gives me hope!
SDN so does not constitute social life. It is easily accessible from work! :D

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
did linear algebra, ochem, physics, and an engineering class last quarter and have pretty much taken nothing but math chem physics and engineering so far
but it's actually a lot easier than you think, and a lot easier than I thought it would be
it becomes easier every quarter too :)