Physics, Orgo, and MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicallyEnthused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult would it be to take a Physics 1, O-chem 1, and study for the mcat during the same semester?

I plan on doing this during the fall.

What about taking o-chem II, physics II, and studying for mcat (possibly take a prep class)?

I would do that in the spring if my mcat score is below 32 on my first attempt (winter break).
So i would take it again early on next summer.

This is the only way i can take it and still be able to apply to med school with no gap year.
If it doesn't work out and i have to take a gap year, my senior year is filled (both semester) with 3 upper level bio classes each, so i don't know which year it would be more difficult to study for the mcat.

Immunology, genetics, pharmacology, Medical Microbiology, pathophysiology, and neuroanatomy. (medical micro, immu, and patho all have labs included)

Any and all input is much appreciated,
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Complete your pre-reqs first, then commit time to studying for the MCAT. You'll thank me later.

Complete your pre-reqs first, then commit time to studying for the MCAT. You'll thank me later.

I have completed all my pre reqs except for o chem and physics.

So do you think a gap year would be best? or should i try to begin study during the spring for early summer mcat. and if i am not happy with that score should i then take it the following year and take a gap year?

Members don't see this ad :)
How difficult would it be to take a Physics 1, O-chem 1, and study for the mcat during the same semester?

I plan on doing this during the fall.

What about taking o-chem II, physics II, and studying for mcat (possibly take a prep class)?

I would do that in the spring if my mcat score is below 32 on my first attempt (winter break).
So i would take it again early on next summer.

This is the only way i can take it and still be able to apply to med school with no gap year.
If it doesn't work out and i have to take a gap year, my senior year is filled (both semester) with 3 upper level bio classes each, so i don't know which year it would be more difficult to study for the mcat.

Immunology, genetics, pharmacology, Medical Microbiology, pathophysiology, and neuroanatomy. (medical micro, immu, and patho all have labs included)

Any and all input is much appreciated,
Thanks.

An mcat of 31+ should be enough if you have a 3.7+ GPA. Dont retake if you get, say a 31, unless you know for sure youll get 3 points more.

I have completed all my pre reqs except for o chem and physics.

So do you think a gap year would be best? or should i try to begin study during the spring for early summer mcat. and if i am not happy with that score should i then take it the following year and take a gap year?

Definitely get the o chem and physics done before taking the MCAT. If that means you need a gap year to do well on the courses, prepare adequately for the MCAT, and apply early in the cycle, a gap year is better than having to retake the MCAT, and it is better than having to reapply. Plan to take the MCAT just once, meaning don't take it figuring you will just retake it later, do everything you can to be completely ready when you do take it, so you only have to take it once.

An mcat of 31+ should be enough if you have a 3.7+ GPA. Dont retake if you get, say a 31, unless you know for sure youll get 3 points more.

Ya the only way i will really retake it is if i get a 29, maybe a 30 if i feel i can improve it by at least 2-3 points. I just said 32 because that what i would like to get minimum.

Definitely get the o chem and physics done before taking the MCAT. If that means you need a gap year to do well on the courses, prepare adequately for the MCAT, and apply early in the cycle, a gap year is better than having to retake the MCAT, and it is better than having to reapply. Plan to take the MCAT just once, meaning don't take it figuring you will just retake it later, do everything you can to be completely ready when you do take it, so you only have to take it once.

Well i would like to take the mcat at least once for NON-GAP year cycle just to see if it'll be worth applying. do you think if i begin studying after taking physics I/Orgo I, and during taking Physics II/Orgo II and for a couple weeks after finishing Orgo II/Physics II aswell, i would be able to handle it?

I am 95% sure on a gap year anyways, whether it take the mcat with time to apply for non gap year or not, i would just like to see if i can take it for non-gap year with a good score (ike 30+)), or woud you said it's not worth taking, because the following 2 semesters during my senior year ill be taking 3 upper level (300/400) bio classes per semester. So i don't know if i will be able to do alot of mcat prep as apposed to 2 science courses (orgo/Physics).